"A Walk Through Time" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park by goingsolo

Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 623 reviews and 1,626 photos

Grand Canyon National Park is a vast area which encompasses much more than what is sometimes referred to as "The Big Ditch". The park itself encompasses more than 1.2 million acres, the vast majority of which is inaccessible due to the rugged terrain which consists of steep cliff walls, and much of the area is inhospitable to all but desert plants and animals.

The Colorado River bisects the canyon and created this natural wonder. Hikers can cross the Colorado only at Phantom Ranch.

Grand Canyon National Park is divided into two main sections. The South Rim, the more popular of the two, located about 5 hours from Phoenix, is a year round destination with lower elevation, hotter summers but more mild winters. The North Rim, where only 10% or so of GC visitors go, is about 78 miles south of Kanab, Utah, and is located at about 8,000 elevation, which makes for cooler summers but far chillier and snowier winters.

In November, 2003, I began my 3 day hike from the South Rim to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. To say that things did not go as planned would be the biggest understatement of my not exactly understated life. If you're interested in reading about it, please see my Grand Canyon page. I've interspersed bits and pieces from this adventure on this page, but mainly focused on providing information and impressions gathered from my past visits to Canyon.

This page is by no means complete. I'm hoping to return in the fall of 2005 for a long anticipated trip to the North Rim and another backpacking journey to the area which captivated me from the moment of my first glimpse at this fascinating place and which continues to pique my curiosity.

• Pros:Uncomprehensibly vast expanse with incredible scenery
  • Cons:Can take days, weeks or even years to absorb the beauty of this place
  • In a nutshell:Visit, explore and spend more than the customary 8 minutes looking at the Canyon
  • Last visit to Grand Canyon National Park: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2004

• neilward's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2008 at 12:15 PM

FABULOUS,Brilliant photos and great tips,only wish I was there to take them all in,nice one

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2006 at 2:15 PM

Your descriptions of the Canyon and River are so intense seems like a lot of hard hikes but worth the effort seen through your pictures

• Dec 17, 2005 at 6:41 PM

Thank you, L, for sharing your experiences on The Grand Canyon. I enjoyed reading about it! Thank you, too, for the compliments on my C.Town page. Have a great week ahead!

• ferdnbean's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2005 at 4:38 PM

L! Fantastic page, info, photos, tips and most of all ... your personal touch. Some of your comments read like a book. Thanks for making this a page in the highest standard for how a VT page should be written. You are a gem! Wayne

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2005 at 6:59 AM

Hi L! One more month until the Grand Canyon and I'm getting excited :o) Thanks for an informative and well-written page. ~ Helen

• frank_delargy's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 9:55 AM

Hi L. Preparing for a short raft trip and my first visit to the Grand Canyon. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Just beginnig the research, but found your tips to be very useful. Frank

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2004 at 1:56 PM

Really enjoyed your pictures and your writing, too. I've only done the North Kaibab trail to Roaring Springs... so far. Would love to come back & recapture the feeling of being here!

• kenyneo's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2004 at 3:46 PM

Its really breathtaking ....you are so lucky .....hope I will go there someday too !

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 10:40 AM

Would love to see the Grand Canyon sometime as well. You have some great pictures of it :-)

• Martin_S.'s Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2004 at 4:18 AM

Was looking for information for our rafting trip next summer here, but found much more, thanks...keep up your rock climbing will be back to see more !!!

“"Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life."”

Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park

Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?