"A Walk Through Time" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park by goingsolo
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide: 565 reviews and 1,394 photos
Grand Canyon National Park is a vast area which encompasses much more than what is sometimes referred to as "The Big Ditch". The park itself encompasses more than 1.2 million acres, the vast majority of which is inaccessible due to the rugged terrain which consists of steep cliff walls, and much of the area is inhospitable to all but desert plants and animals.
The Colorado River bisects the canyon and created this natural wonder. Hikers can cross the Colorado only at Phantom Ranch.
Grand Canyon National Park is divided into two main sections. The South Rim, the more popular of the two, located about 5 hours from Phoenix, is a year round destination with lower elevation, hotter summers but more mild winters. The North Rim, where only 10% or so of GC visitors go, is about 78 miles south of Kanab, Utah, and is located at about 8,000 elevation, which makes for cooler summers but far chillier and snowier winters.
In November, 2003, I began my 3 day hike from the South Rim to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. To say that things did not go as planned would be the biggest understatement of my not exactly understated life. If you're interested in reading about it, please see my Grand Canyon page. I've interspersed bits and pieces from this adventure on this page, but mainly focused on providing information and impressions gathered from my past visits to Canyon.
This page is by no means complete. I'm hoping to return in the fall of 2005 for a long anticipated trip to the North Rim and another backpacking journey to the area which captivated me from the moment of my first glimpse at this fascinating place and which continues to pique my curiosity.
- Pros:Uncomprehensibly vast expanse with incredible scenery
- Cons:Can take days, weeks or even years to absorb the beauty of this place
- In a nutshell:Visit, explore and spend more than the customary 8 minutes looking at the Canyon
Rafting the Colorado river has always been, and continues to be, the dream of many. While present day commercial tour... more travel advice
Woke up early after sleeping nearly 12 hours. Had to walk around a bit to get the stiffness out of my legs. As I ket... more travel advice
- South Rim
- See All Don't attempt to hike to the river &...
- See All By air
- See All Supai Lodge/campground Havasu Canyon
- See All Tusayan museum
goingsolo's Related Pages
Grand Canyon National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Grand Canyon, Colorado River Rafting"
- "Getting to the Bottom of the Grand Canyon"
- "Grand Canyon is a lot of things to a lot of people"
- "A Walk Through Time"
- "Grand Means Big and Deep Canyon"
- "Let's go rafting!!"
- "A Sunrise in October"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Canyon National Park
- Hotels in Grand Canyon National Park
- Transportation in Grand Canyon National Park
- Nightlife in Grand Canyon National Park
- Restaurants in Grand Canyon National Park
- Shopping in Grand Canyon National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Grand Canyon National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Canyon National Park
- 85 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Grand Canyon National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Canyon National Park
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- Uploaded a Photo to "East Rim Drive- The Canyon barely comes into view"
- Commented on one of Martin_S.'s Grand Canyon National Park travel pages
- updated a Grand Canyon National Park Travel Page "A Walk Through Time"
- Wrote a Review Canyon myths and legends: Glen and Bessie Hyde in Grand Canyon National Park Local Customs
Photos in Grand Canyon National ParkSee All Photos (95)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue