"Hangin with the locals in Homer" Top 5 Page for this destination Homer by goingsolo
Homer Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 367 photos
Homer, described to me by my new Anchorage friends a "just a fishing town" does have more to offer than outsiders believe. There's an artist community here and a collection of chefs. Also, unlike the rest of this male dominated state, Homer has more men than women. Although if you buy what most Alaskan men say about Alaskan women, that may not be a good thing.
But during the Sunday evening I spent in sleepy little Homer, I did find one man who spoke favorably about the fairer sex in Alaska. M., a fishing boat captain who left corporate America to live in Homer, described the women of Alaska as "beautiful and exceptional."
Unlike yuppified Anchorage, which is compared to Los Angeles by hard core Alaskans, and not favorably, Homer is a small town by the sea where people migrate to escape the rat race and do what they love to do, which is fish. Hanging at the Salty Dawg Saloon, the Homer institution with a handful of everyone knows everyones, I got a sense of Homer beyond what the princess tourists are allowed to see. This was the real Homer, where, as M. put it, everyone is friendly and pretentiousness is frowned upon. The Salty Dawg appears rough and tumble, with its well worn grafittied interior. But the decor, a montage of collectibles ranging from a miniature Oscar Mayer truck with the words 'Eat Me" written on the side door in black magic marker and a license plate personalized with the phrase "NCERCK" suspended from the ceiling, speaks otherwise. This is the grassroots escape from the city life where former white collar professionals gather to drink beer and swap fishing stories instead of discussing the market. To live in Homer, you'd better like to drink and like to fish, and not necessarily in that order. As the sign behind the bar states, "Homer is a drinking village with a fishing problem."
This is a photo of the interior of the Salty Dawg Saloon- a watering hole located on the Homer Spit where fishermen (and women), locals and tourists wind down in the evenings
Homer may not be "just a fishing town", but the maritime activities are a large part of life in this town. Homer has a year round commercial and charter fishing industry which is supported by over 700 fishing boats and their assorted crew.
- Pros:a laid back town with great fishing, hiking and kayaking
The museum has an aquarium, an exhibit on the Exxon Valdees oil spill and a refurbished homestead cabin in the back. Its... more travel advice
The quintessential dive bar located along the Homer Spit. Homer is known as "a drinking village with a fishing problem",... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Homer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Homer -- suffering from a "Spit" Personality"
- "Halibut Capital of the World"
- "Hangin with the locals in Homer"
- "Homer - The Famous Spit of Alaska"
- "Homer Alaska"
- "Jumping Around Homer!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Homer
- Hotels in Homer
- Transportation in Homer
- Nightlife in Homer
- Restaurants in Homer
- Shopping in Homer
- Warnings and Dangers in Homer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Homer
- 13 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (50)
Have you been to Homer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Homer
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (27)
Latest Homer hotel reviews
- Lands End Resort
- 261 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 17, 2013
- Homer Spit Campgrounds
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 2, 2013
- Tutka Bay Wilderness Lodge
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 2, 2013
- Beluga Lake Lodge Homer
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Best Western Bidarka Inn
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013