"Anchorage's wilderness" Chugach State Park by goingsolo
Chugach State Park Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 48 photos
Alaskans like to joke that one of the best things about Anchorage is that it is close to Alaska. This tongue in cheek sentiment belies the fact that Anchorage is too urban to be Alaska. The real Alaska, that is. The roadless land of extremes where bears, moose and other wildlife can be found.
Chugach State Park lies just outside of Anchorage. It is the closest wilderness to Alaska's urban sprawl and a popular place for hiking, camping and other outdoor activities. My first visit to the northern area of Eklutna Lake was on a noncooperative weather day. In other words, it rained. Ditto for my second visit to Eklutna Lake several days later, although I did see the sun for a couple of hours while driving south towards Anchorage. On my third attempt, I visited the hillside area south of Anchorage in an attempt to hike Flattop Mountain. Once again, it rained.
So my pictures of this picturesque area will hardly do it justice. But if you peek through the clouds, or if they finally let up, you'll see some of Alaska's beauty which can be found less than an hour from Anchorage.
- Pros:Wilderness just outside the city
- Cons:Not true wilderness and not very cooperative weather
- In a nutshell:A good daytrip for those with limited time, if you don't mind the weather
Chugagh State Park literally surrounds Anchorage on the north, east and south. Many of the popular trails, such as... more travel advice
This was the scramble part of the hike. Ok, it was no Mount Ranier, but the loose rock and scree made it quite slippery.... more travel advice
goingsolo's Related Pages
Chugach State Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Anchorage's Backyard Paradise"
- "Anchorage's wilderness"
- "Chugach State Park - Good Getaway from Anchorage"
- "I LOVE THE CHUGACH !"
- "Chugach Forest"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chugach State Park
- Hotels in Chugach State Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Chugach State Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chugach State Park
- 7 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (51)
Have you been to Chugach State Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chugach State Park
- Posted in Travel Alaska Forum "Re: B&Bs in Anchorage"
- updated a Chugach State Park Travel Page "Anchorage's wilderness"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Anchorage's wilderness"
- Commented on one of mrclay2000's Chugach State Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Surrounding mountain ranges in Chugach State Park Things to Do
Photos in Chugach State ParkSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Las Vegas Intro, 133 reviews, 156 photos, 5 travelogues
- Death Valley National Park Intro, 96 reviews, 104 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yosemite National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 96 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Canyon National Park Intro, 85 reviews, 95 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bryce Canyon National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 81 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mount Rainier National Park Intro, 66 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lone Pine Intro, 50 reviews, 80 photos
- Chicago Intro, 50 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona Intro, 53 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Zion National Park Intro, 51 reviews, 57 photos, 1 travelogue