"Chichen Itza" Top 5 Page for this destination Ruinas Chichén-Itzá by Dabs

Ruinas Chichén-Itzá Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,252 photos

Chichen Itza (in the mouth at the Itza's Well) is the ruins of an ancient Mayan city located on the Yucatan Peninsula. It was the center of political, religious and military power in the Yucatan.

It was believed to be abandoned suddenly around 1400 A.D., there are many theories as to why but nobody knows for certain.

I've been to several Mayan ruin sites-Coba, Tulum in Mexico, Tikal in Guatemala, Lamanai in Belize and Chichen Itza is the one that impressed me the most.

I believe it is one of the most excavated sites and there is still a good deal of detail that can be seen on the buildings.

Although it can be visited on a day trip from Cancun or Playa del Carmen, if you can afford the time, try to do it as an overnight visit. It is less crowded before the bus tours arrive, you can attend the sound and light show if you are there in the evening and there are many buildings that the day trips do not have time to explore.

• In a nutshell:Best daytrip on the Yucatan peninsula!
  • Last visit to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 24, 2004

• Aug 29, 2007 at 7:52 AM

I went on an archeological tour in the Yucatan in December of 1976. The windows in the domed observatory are juxtaposed, so as to cast lights and shadows. It was believed that this served as a planting and harvesting guide.

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Haha...I was going to make like Rocky myself up those steps...probably a good thing that they were roped off!

• Aug 15, 2007 at 2:49 PM

I loved the carvings of warriors on the walls. Very well preserved.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2007 at 2:04 PM

What a pity we won't be able to climb to the top:(

• Bilimari's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 6:36 AM

When we went there in July 2006, and the pyramid was roped up and closed. Our guide told me that someone fell from the steps in Jan, and died. I wish we could see the great view that you enjoyed.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2006 at 12:59 PM

The "only one"? Ha! Take a look at the tour guide in my photos... I have never seen a Mexican at Chichen Itza in shorts, dear quirkier one!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2006 at 10:52 AM

lovely page Kristi, we cant wait to see more of Mexico, but how sad to not be able to climb the pyramid

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2005 at 2:53 PM

Nice photos on your travelogues and tips. Come to think of it, I've never liked ball games very much anyway.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2005 at 5:20 AM

Awesome Chichen-Itza page Kristi. Hans and I loved it here. Hans went up the pyramid twice. The second time he brought his camera up with him.

• Jul 20, 2005 at 8:59 PM

wow kristi, some impressive pictures here! i would like to explore these old maya ruins, hopefully one day! a lovely page, great info too. cheers.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá

Have you been to Ruinas Chichén-Itzá?

Latest Activity in Ruinas Chichén-Itzá