"Coba-Mayan ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobá by Dabs
Cobá Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 253 photos
The Mayan ruins at Coba are still largely unexcavated, of the estimated 6,500 structures that are believed to exist at the site, only a few are currently uncovered. It is believed to date back to 600-900 AD with an estimated 100,000 inhabitants.
After you climb to the top of the largest pyramid at the sight, Nohoch Muul, you can see a few structures peeking out of the surrounding jungle which sits on the shore of two lakes.
Our first trip to Coba was several years ago, at the time it was largely undiscovered by tourists and tour operators and we saw very few people as we explored the site. We rented a car and drove to the ruins and explored on our own.
On our 2nd visit in December 2004, it wasn't overcrowded but it was obvious that Coba was now on the tourist radar perhaps because the bumpy road between the highway and Coba had been repaired and it was a little easier to get to. This time we visited on a daytrip with Alltournative, a local guide took us around the section of the ruins near the entrance, then our group rented bikes or "Mayan limousines" to see the main attraction of the pyramid.
- Pros:Closer to Cancun and the Riviera Maya than Chichen Itza
- Cons:Still largely unexcavated
There are 2 ball courts that have been excavated at Coba, this is the one that is closest to the entrance. The ball... more travel advice
OK, this fella didn't seem to be posing much of a threat, people were getting pretty close to him and he just didn't... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Cobá Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "One day in Coba"
- "Coba-Mayan ruins"
- "Coba: A Walk in the Park!"
- "where Mayan life ..."
- "Coba Setting is Lovely"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cobá
- Hotels in Cobá
- Transportation in Cobá
- Nightlife in Cobá
- Restaurants in Cobá
- Shopping in Cobá
- Warnings and Dangers in Cobá
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cobá
- 7 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Cobá?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobá
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues