"Coba-Mayan ruins" Top 5 Page for this destination Cobá by Dabs

Cobá Travel Guide: 100 reviews and 303 photos

The Mayan ruins at Coba are still largely unexcavated, of the estimated 6,500 structures that are believed to exist at the site, only a few are currently uncovered. It is believed to date back to 600-900 AD with an estimated 100,000 inhabitants.

After you climb to the top of the largest pyramid at the sight, Nohoch Muul, you can see a few structures peeking out of the surrounding jungle which sits on the shore of two lakes.

Our first trip to Coba was several years ago, at the time it was largely undiscovered by tourists and tour operators and we saw very few people as we explored the site. We rented a car and drove to the ruins and explored on our own.

On our 2nd visit in December 2004, it wasn't overcrowded but it was obvious that Coba was now on the tourist radar perhaps because the bumpy road between the highway and Coba had been repaired and it was a little easier to get to. This time we visited on a daytrip with Alltournative, a local guide took us around the section of the ruins near the entrance, then our group rented bikes or "Mayan limousines" to see the main attraction of the pyramid.

• Pros:Closer to Cancun and the Riviera Maya than Chichen Itza
  • Cons:Still largely unexcavated
  • Last visit to Cobá: Dec 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 7, 2007

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2008 at 10:28 AM

Very cool ruins in Coba. Also thanks for checking out my Bad Wimpfen pages. That was also one cool place to visit.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2007 at 6:40 AM

great tips! I really want to get down and explor the mayan world!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Yes. My eggs come in a box. Yellow box, but the contents is egg whites only. Is it any wonder - a woman who uses boxed eggs - doesn't realize you need a Rooster to have eggs? I just need a box and a microwave!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Enjoyable tips on this unfamiliar Mayan ruin! I like the idea of biking, we used them on Ambergris Cay in Belize not long ago. Sounds like Alltournative is a good bunch to hook up with here! Yes, I remember how scarey it is looking down Mayan pyramids!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2007 at 5:14 PM

I like the bike option for traveling between the two sites--very nice tips!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2005 at 2:11 PM

So which mode of transport did you take? The Mayan Limousine or the SUV? Don't fancy winning if it means getting sacrificed!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 9:50 AM

Very good tips and amusing as well :-)

• pink63's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 4:19 PM

Cobà is one of the most fascinating and wild Mayan ruin. I went there already two times, but I want to come back once again. What beautiful memories!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 3:43 PM

I have heard so much about this civilization, it is amazing that you made it this far. Thanks for sharing.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 10:54 AM

A very interesting interesting look at a fascinating place. If I were to win the game in one of those ball courts, I wouldn't mind the losers doing the honor of making the sacrifice.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Cobá