Tulum Things to Do Tips by Dabs
Tulum Things to Do: 180 reviews and 301 photos
Tulum is probably best visited in the morning before all the tourist buses show up and before the scorching sun starts beating down on you since most of it is uncovered. The site is open from 7 am until 5 pm in the winter and 8 am until 6 pm in the summer.
In terms of the structures still standing at Tulum, they are not as impressive as other Mayan ruins in Mexico such as Chichen Itza, both in size and the amount of detail you can still see.
But it is an easier day trip from either Cancun or Playa del Carmen and it is easy to combine with a visit to Xel-ha if you get an early enough start. And the location on the Caribbean sea is spectatcular!
Address: Just north of the town of Tulum
Directions: About 50 minutes south of Playa del Carmen, access to the site is off highway 307.
Heading south from the Temple of the Wind God, there is a small beach where the water looked quite inviting. If you are enjoying a leisurely day, bring along your swimsuit and go for a dip!
El Castillo is Tulum's tallest building, perched on it's highest cliff. This structure served as a watchtower.
Although they are probably all over the grounds, this little fella is the only iguana I spotted. He seemed to enjoy posing for photos.
This building was the residence of the most important people of Tulum. There are benches along the wall which were used as seats and perhaps as beds and a sanctuary in the back of the building where they held religious ceremonies.
Tulum-Templo del Dios Descendente
This temple is named for the relief figure over the door (see the next tip for a photo). It was constructed on top of another. Neither the walls nor the door is a straight vertical line because of this.
Temple of the Wind God
Heading south from the Casa del Cenote you will come upon the Templo del Dios del Viento (Temple of the Wind God). It is built over a circular platform which is associated with the Wind God Kukulkan.
Tulum-Casa del Cenote
From the tower and the entrance, head east towards the Caribbean and you will find the Casa del Cenote.
This building is named because it was built on top of a cave containing water. Originally it was a rectangular building with 2 rooms. A small tomb was found here. There was a small sanctuary at the back where they held religious ceremonies.
More Reviews (6)
Dabs' Related Pages
Tulum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins and the Cove of Tulum & Caribbean Sea"
- "TULUM - maya ruins, white beaches and turquise sea"
- "Ahhhhh. The Yucatan"
- "TULUM ---- ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tulum
- Hotels in Tulum
- Transportation in Tulum
- Nightlife in Tulum
- Restaurants in Tulum
- Shopping in Tulum
- Warnings and Dangers in Tulum
- See All...
Explore the World
- Albion Hotels
- Baturaden Hotels
- Arzew Hotels
- Kassandra Hotels
- San Francisco El Alto
- Bellows Falls
Badges & Stats in Tulum
- 19 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Tulum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tulum
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Tulum hotel reviews
- Playa Mambo Tulum
- 110 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Weary Traveler Hostel
- 180 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Dreams Tulum Resort & Spa All Inclusive
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Uno Astro Lodge
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 27, 2013
- Parayso Hotel And Spa
- 152 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- 161 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Hotel Playa Kin Ha
- 41 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 25, 2013
- Lobo Inn
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 17, 2013
- Tulum Hostel
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 24, 2012
- Cabanas Retiro Maya
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Diamante K
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Hamaca Loca
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2011
- Rancho Tranquilo
- 53 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 30, 2013
- Posada Margherita
- 334 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Tulum Ruins- 53 Reviews, 80 Photos
- Beaches- 28 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Gran Cenote- 10 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Tulum Town- 4 Reviews, 12 Photos
- Temple of the Descending God- 11 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Sian Ka an Biosphere Reserve- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Coba Pyramids- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Los Voladores- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- El Castillo- 10 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Snorkeling- 5 Reviews, 1 Photos
See All Tulum Things to Do