"Montmorency Falls, a nice daytrip from Quebec City" Montmorency by Dabs

Montmorency Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 71 photos

Having just visited breathtaking Iguazu Falls in Brazil/Argentina earlier this year, I wasn't sure if we'd be making the side trip to Montmorency Falls or not but when we wrapped up our visit to Quebec City early in the afternoon and realized that the Falls were only about 15 minutes away from Quebec City, we thought it would be silly not to stop. Certainly they aren't as spectacular as Igazu Falls or Niagara Falls but if you find yourself with a couple of extra hours, it certainly is a pleasant diversion.

The Falls have a 272 foot drop, 1 1/2 times as high as Niagara Falls but not nearly as wide. If you find yourself in Quebec City for the Winter Carnival, you may still want to schedule a visit to Montmorency Falls as the spray from the waterfall freezes forming a mountain of ice called "Sugarloaf" reaching heights of 75 feet which I imagine is quite something to see. I saw some pictures of people using it as a tobaggan/sled hill, pretty cool!

In exchange for the silly snowman shot, I had to cede control of the camera and ruin this otherwise perfectly good shot of the Falls ;-)

Rainbows

From the top of the falls we were able to see rainbows from several different angles, from over the top and from the side.

• Pros:Easy daytrip from Quebec City
  • Last visit to Montmorency: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2012 at 4:53 AM

What beautiful waterfalls. I love the photos with the rainbow, just a nice extra touch!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Great page Krisit - I love falls and am sure I'd enjoy visiting here. My husband INSISTS on having his photo taken with every odd character statue etc we come across - now maybe that's an idea for a VT album?

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2006 at 4:52 AM

What a lovely area, especially the Falls. I know how David feels. I'm usually the one who has to pose with fake bears, moose, etc.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 1:55 PM

Think I would have had the sudden urge for the loo ;-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2006 at 6:44 AM

I am glad that you took the time to visit the falls and that the weather cooperated as well. As you say, it may not be the biggest waterfall, but it is still an interesting spot to experience!

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 11:48 AM

Interesting place, I haven't heard about it.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Montmorency

Have you been to Montmorency?

Latest Activity in Montmorency