"Montreal" Top 5 Page for this destination Montreal by Dabs

Montreal Travel Guide: 3,666 reviews and 6,834 photos

I think the entire summer is a festival in Montreal, maybe to combat the long winters spent indoors or underground. Our first day we caught the tail end of the Jazz Festival, when we came back the "Just for Laughs" festival was starting and in a couple of weeks Montreal's version of the Gay Games was starting. Non stop fun!

Montreal is a great place to visit in the summer, my husband kept exclaiming just that with a long dramatic pause "Montreal is a great place to visit............ in the summer" I doubt I'll ever prove or disprove this theory, I'm much more likely to be hopping on a place to Mexico or Jamaica to escape Chicago's winter than going to spend time in some place that has equally bad or worse weather.

Montreal residents seem to really get out and enjoy the warmer months, miles and miles (I guess kilometers and kilometers would be more appropriate) of bicycle trails, beautiful parks and a very lovely Botanic Garden, the 2nd largest behind Kew Gardens in England not to mention lots of al fresco dining and people strolling the streets until the late hours.

Eating and eating and eating....

One of the things I was most looking forward to in Montreal was the food, Montreal has around 5,000 restaurants that pretty much cover the globe. Walking down (trust me, better than walking up) St. Denis or St. Laurent or rue Rachel you'll find fancy French restaurants mixed in with all night places serving the artery clogging Quebec favorite poutine, bistros, crepes, Jewish delis and bagel shops, Portugese, Greek, Spanish, Lebanese.

I was eager to try those things that I couldn't get back home in Chicago:

poutine-french fries, covered in gravy, topped with cheese curds and anything else fattening that you can imagine

smoked meat sandwich-reminds me a lot of corned beef

and some of the French foods that I really enjoy, moule frites (mussels and french fries), crepes (banana and nutella-yum!), steak frites, fondue

Wish I had more time to try some of the other ethnic foods, boy did some of those places look good

• Last visit to Montreal: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Hello, Kristi! Thanks for your page! It's always a pleasure to read your travel pages! ><><><><

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Great restaurant tips and good all round page. Never seen Montreal in the summer! Cheers, John.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 8:59 AM

I have a very winter perspective of Montreal and I thought it was simply fabulous, I can imagine when everything is green!!! I LOVE MONTREAL!;)

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Rob, Andy, Rita. Nice Touch! You're good. It's official: E.M.A.W.!

• Jun 11, 2007 at 9:38 PM

April 2007 We booked the car $500 something in CAD, ... Overthere , it changed to $735.00. When asked, they said the rate given on the phone was wrong. and will charge $70 something for cancellation Please...DO NOT rent from them EVER!!!

• sprdak11's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Interesting page. Good luck .

• nixca316's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Great new tips, Kristi. Stay fabulous! =)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2007 at 6:04 PM

An outstanding page on one of my favorite cities. Very helpful and well written tips.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2007 at 6:40 AM

Excellent page Kristi - helpful tips and some beautiful pictures, especially the orchids and Notre Dame interior - stunning!

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Montreal anytime sounds lovely. Nice photo, nice city. But it's so expensive to get to. Chicago is a few toll booths away--or the Van Galder bus.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Montreal

Have you been to Montreal?

Latest Activity in Montreal