"Milwaukee-more than beer" Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee by Dabs

Milwaukee Travel Guide: 533 reviews and 830 photos

As close as I lived to Milwaukee while growing up, the family rarely traveled up there, in fact I can only remember going there once for a Brewers game and I think that was a church outing. Now we live a little further away and we've made trips up for Summerfest a couple of times and a trip to the zoo but I've never explored downtown Milwaukee so we decided to take a road trip in the fall of 2004 to see what we could see.

A nice surprise

I was pleasantly surprised to find some really cool architecture, older buildings with some real style. Downtown Milwaukee, although not very lively on the weekends, is very walkable, you can take a stroll along the Riverwalk or through the downtown area to check out some of the architecture.

We got a late start from home and stopped by the Jelly Belly warehouse on the way up so we didn't get a chance to see much of what I wanted to see. A good excuse for a return visit :-)

And return visits I've made, I've made five more trips, one in Sept. 2004 to see the Domes and explore the area around Marquette University, again in Jan 2005 to see the Pabst Mansion decorated for the holidays, in April 2005 to visit the Milwaukee Art Museum and take a look at historic Brady Street, in December 2006, I took a herd of VTers up to see the Pabst Mansion and Pfister Hotel decorated for the holidays and a nice drive along the lakefront looking at the mansions and in July 2007 we headed up to Summerfest. Milwaukee is really an undiscovered Midwestern gem!

I'm not finished yet, there's still the Miller Brewery tour, the Historic 3rd Ward, Sprecher Brewery, the Charles Allis Art Museum, the Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum and nearby Cedarburg.

• Pros:Friendly people, good food, surprising amount of things to see
  • Last visit to Milwaukee: Jul 2007
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM

It is a great description, I must revisit that city and see the sites...feel the atmosphere again...We were too busy to enjoy all those splendid sights....

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Just starting my Milwaukee page after spending a pleasure weekend up there. Then I go back for 2 weeks in August on business.

• Nov 11, 2008 at 9:58 AM

Do you have any more information on the Tripoli Shrine Temple? I have to do a research paper about it for school and some of the things i need to find I can't.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Another excellent page filled with helpful suggestions for visitors to this friendly midwestern city. Sorry about your "accident". Hope all is OK. For years we had subscriptions to the Papst Theater. Your food tips are always top notch.

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 8:25 PM

Great Milwaukee page!! Makes me hungry for more info!! I guess I'll have to go and find out on my own!!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 8:26 AM

Great page! So many of the old buildings in Milwaukee look the same as they did when I first visited the city at age 15. Didn't know Miller was the only brewery left in town.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 1:25 PM

Milwaukee Gas Light Co looks a lovely building, I've always loved Art Deco. But a Westphalian schnitzel-wiener schnitzel almost sounds like a parody of German food!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 1:16 PM

The St. Joan of Arc Chapel looks interseting and it's very American to move it from Europe, right? I don't like Miller beer but being from Polish beer capitol I would like to visit the brewery if possible.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2004 at 11:58 AM

Same with me. I have never been to Milwaukee even though it always seemed so near when I was growing up. We used to go to Waukegen and places like that, and Milwaukee would have been just a few miles further up the shore. Thanks for a look at it.

• yooperprof's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2004 at 7:33 PM

Next time you might want to check out the lobby lounge at the Pfister - it's a nice place for a refreshment!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Milwaukee

Have you been to Milwaukee?

Latest Activity in Milwaukee