"Milwaukee-more than beer" Top 5 Page for this destination Milwaukee by Dabs
Milwaukee Travel Guide: 526 reviews and 820 photos
As close as I lived to Milwaukee while growing up, the family rarely traveled up there, in fact I can only remember going there once for a Brewers game and I think that was a church outing. Now we live a little further away and we've made trips up for Summerfest a couple of times and a trip to the zoo but I've never explored downtown Milwaukee so we decided to take a road trip in the fall of 2004 to see what we could see.
I was pleasantly surprised to find some really cool architecture, older buildings with some real style. Downtown Milwaukee, although not very lively on the weekends, is very walkable, you can take a stroll along the Riverwalk or through the downtown area to check out some of the architecture.
We got a late start from home and stopped by the Jelly Belly warehouse on the way up so we didn't get a chance to see much of what I wanted to see. A good excuse for a return visit :-)
And return visits I've made, I've made five more trips, one in Sept. 2004 to see the Domes and explore the area around Marquette University, again in Jan 2005 to see the Pabst Mansion decorated for the holidays, in April 2005 to visit the Milwaukee Art Museum and take a look at historic Brady Street, in December 2006, I took a herd of VTers up to see the Pabst Mansion and Pfister Hotel decorated for the holidays and a nice drive along the lakefront looking at the mansions and in July 2007 we headed up to Summerfest. Milwaukee is really an undiscovered Midwestern gem!
I'm not finished yet, there's still the Miller Brewery tour, the Historic 3rd Ward, Sprecher Brewery, the Charles Allis Art Museum, the Villa Terrace Decorative Arts Museum and nearby Cedarburg.
- Pros:Friendly people, good food, surprising amount of things to see
When Kris (Taz_Mocha) said she wanted to buy a cheese wedge hat for her nephew, I knew exactly where to go, Mars Cheese... more travel advice
Located several blocks west of the Pabst Mansion on the same street is the Brumder Mansion. At the time it was built in... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Milwaukee Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Milwaukee: Beers, Brats, and Architecture"
- "Milwaukee-more than beer"
- "Former Beer Capital, May Be Again"
- "My trip to Milwaukee , Wiscousin"
- "Not Your Father's Milwaukee"
- "Milwaukee - Surprisingly Interesting !"
- "A FUN DAY IN MILWAUKEE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Milwaukee
- Hotels in Milwaukee
- Transportation in Milwaukee
- Nightlife in Milwaukee
- Restaurants in Milwaukee
- Shopping in Milwaukee
- Warnings and Dangers in Milwaukee
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Milwaukee
- 31 Reviews
- 64 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Milwaukee?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Milwaukee
- Posted in Travel Grand Cayman Forum "Re: dolphin swim"
- Commented on the Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers travel guide
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Milwaukee travel pages
- updated a Milwaukee Travel Page "Milwaukee-more than beer"
- Wrote a Review 7-7-07, what a lucky day in Milwaukee Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "They don't call them cheeseheads for nothing"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 408 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 260 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues