"South Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven by Dabs

South Haven Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 203 photos

I woke up Saturday morning and happened upon a travel forum post asking about where to find the best leaf colors within a few hours of Chicago and someone happened to post information about the cranberry festival in South Haven, something we found fun on a previous visit so we jumped in the car and headed off.

South Haven is a popular summer destination along the coast of Lake Michigan, there are lots of B&Bs that you can stay at that you probably need to book well in advance in the summer. Chicago is close enough that you can make the trip in a day.

It's been an unusually warm fall here in the Midwest, not to mention dry, so I was a little disappointed that not many of the trees on the way up weren't the brilliant reds, oranges and yellows you sometimes get in Michigan in the fall. And when we got to DeGrandchamp Farms, there was a loooooong line for the cranberry festival hayride that takes you out to the harvesting site but we had come all this way to do it...We waited for over a 1/2 hour in the blazing sun, yes you are reading that right, it's October and it's 90 degrees! But it was worth it, I found the harvesting process to be very interesting.

After our visit to the cranberry festival, we headed to the beach, it was 90 degrees out after all. The water was chilly but it felt good to kick off my shoe and feel the cool water on my toes. Did I mention that it was 90 degrees in October?

Our final stop was in downtown South Haven, a collection of unique shops selling the usual things you find in seasonal resort areas, baked good, antiques, crafts, jewelry and clothes.

• Pros:Beautiful beach, interesting festival
  • Cons:Crowded in the summer
  • Last visit to South Haven: Sep 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 22, 2013

Sep 23, 2013 at 4:14 AM

Wow, this is amazing. You guys just went to South Haven, we just went to South Haven, Rich just went to South Haven. Dee has been to South Haven and would love to go back. We have got to have a VT Meet-up in South Haven. Maybe next year.

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:08 AM

It's about a three hour drive for us. Not much. I think it would be a great idea for all of us to get together next fall.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Sep 24, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Sounds like a grand idea! We're almost always home for most of Sept, Oct and Nov.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Just how hot was it when you went? May stay for a weekend up here in a couple of weeks as our oldest son competes in the 1/2 ironman a little further south in Benton Harbor.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Sounds like a great visit to South Haven. Both Allan and I love Cranberries so we should think about a visit there next year. So strange for Michigan to have 90 degrees in October as did Chicago.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 12:52 PM

A Cranberry Festival sounds like alot of fun--who wouldn't love a hayride?? I love the smell of Autumn--that's something we miss about the Northeast now that our home is in Texas...

Oct 11, 2007 at 4:05 AM

Ah! So that's where you went. Hans and I love South Haven - such a pretty place to visit.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in South Haven

Have you been to South Haven?

Latest Activity in South Haven