"South Haven" Top 5 Page for this destination South Haven by Dabs
South Haven Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 203 photos
I woke up Saturday morning and happened upon a travel forum post asking about where to find the best leaf colors within a few hours of Chicago and someone happened to post information about the cranberry festival in South Haven, something we found fun on a previous visit so we jumped in the car and headed off.
South Haven is a popular summer destination along the coast of Lake Michigan, there are lots of B&Bs that you can stay at that you probably need to book well in advance in the summer. Chicago is close enough that you can make the trip in a day.
It's been an unusually warm fall here in the Midwest, not to mention dry, so I was a little disappointed that not many of the trees on the way up weren't the brilliant reds, oranges and yellows you sometimes get in Michigan in the fall. And when we got to DeGrandchamp Farms, there was a loooooong line for the cranberry festival hayride that takes you out to the harvesting site but we had come all this way to do it...We waited for over a 1/2 hour in the blazing sun, yes you are reading that right, it's October and it's 90 degrees! But it was worth it, I found the harvesting process to be very interesting.
After our visit to the cranberry festival, we headed to the beach, it was 90 degrees out after all. The water was chilly but it felt good to kick off my shoe and feel the cool water on my toes. Did I mention that it was 90 degrees in October?
Our final stop was in downtown South Haven, a collection of unique shops selling the usual things you find in seasonal resort areas, baked good, antiques, crafts, jewelry and clothes.
- Pros:Beautiful beach, interesting festival
- Cons:Crowded in the summer
The downtown shopping district is 2-3 blocks long, there are stores selling antiques, books, jewelry and clothing, even... more travel advice
This was the 2nd time we've been to the Cranberry Festival at DeGrandchamp Farms, the 1st time we found it by accident... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
South Haven Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Celebrating Summer's End"
- "Home of the Annual Blueberry Festival"
- "SOUTH HAVEN MICHIGAN"
- "The best of the West"
- "South Haven"
- "South Haven Lighthouse"
- "joeskier98's new South Haven Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in South Haven
- Hotels in South Haven
- Transportation in South Haven
- Restaurants in South Haven
- Shopping in South Haven
- Warnings and Dangers in South Haven
- See All...
Badges & Stats in South Haven
- 9 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to South Haven?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in South Haven
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 271 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues