"Michigan's "Little Bavaria"" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankenmuth by Dabs
Frankenmuth Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 101 photos
Frankenmuth was 1st settled in 1845 by a German pastor who named it Frankenmuth which means "courage of the Franconians". The Frankenmuth that you see today started in 1947 when Rupprecht's Sausage (now Willi's Sausage) was remodeled in the "Alpine-style" architecture. In 1958, the Zehnder family renovated the Fischer Inn in the same style and renamed it the Bavarian Inn. Many other buildings were renovated in a similar style in the following years, that plus Bronner's Christmas Wonderland created a tourist destination for people from all over the midwest.
My 1st visit to Frankenmuth was when I was a little girl and lived in Waterford, Michigan, I have a picture of my mom taken in a Bavarian dress that she bought while there. My husband and I have visited several times since. It's a little far to do as a daytrip although we have done it, 10 hours+ driving in a day is a little much!
Some people seem to dismiss Frankenmuth as a giant tourist trap but I always enjoy our visits there. In recent years they have added lots of hotels, some of which have water parks and other family activities that make it a weekend destination.
- Pros:Chicken dinners, lots of shopping
- Cons:Touristy, crowded in peak season
Should you not have the time to print out any information from the attached website or order a free brochure from them,... more travel advice
If you have an interest in the history of Frankenmuth, there's the Frankenmuth Historical Museum located right in the... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Frankenmuth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Michigan's "Little Bavaria""
- "Frankenmuth - Michigan's Little Bavaria"
- "Bane of VT?"
- "Frankenmuth Annual Girls Night Out"
- "Frankenmuth: Where America Meets Germany"
- "Frankenmuth for a day"
- "Frankenmuth, MI."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Frankenmuth
- Hotels in Frankenmuth
- Transportation in Frankenmuth
- Nightlife in Frankenmuth
- Restaurants in Frankenmuth
- Shopping in Frankenmuth
- Warnings and Dangers in Frankenmuth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Frankenmuth
- 11 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Frankenmuth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Frankenmuth
Photos in FrankenmuthSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 262 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues