"Michigan's "Little Bavaria"" Top 5 Page for this destination Frankenmuth by Dabs

Frankenmuth Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 101 photos

Frankenmuth was 1st settled in 1845 by a German pastor who named it Frankenmuth which means "courage of the Franconians". The Frankenmuth that you see today started in 1947 when Rupprecht's Sausage (now Willi's Sausage) was remodeled in the "Alpine-style" architecture. In 1958, the Zehnder family renovated the Fischer Inn in the same style and renamed it the Bavarian Inn. Many other buildings were renovated in a similar style in the following years, that plus Bronner's Christmas Wonderland created a tourist destination for people from all over the midwest.

My 1st visit to Frankenmuth was when I was a little girl and lived in Waterford, Michigan, I have a picture of my mom taken in a Bavarian dress that she bought while there. My husband and I have visited several times since. It's a little far to do as a daytrip although we have done it, 10 hours+ driving in a day is a little much!

Some people seem to dismiss Frankenmuth as a giant tourist trap but I always enjoy our visits there. In recent years they have added lots of hotels, some of which have water parks and other family activities that make it a weekend destination.

• Pros:Chicken dinners, lots of shopping
  • Cons:Touristy, crowded in peak season
  • Last visit to Frankenmuth: Nov 2013
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2013

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 11:22 AM

I was hoping Frankenmuth would be the home of Frankenberry Cereal, but it appears my search will go on elsewhere.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2007 at 6:22 AM

Excellent Frankenmuth page. Karen and I have been through there twice on our Michigan trips. It's worth a visit just to buy a Christmas tree ornament at Bonner's.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Sure brought back memories of our many trips to Frankenmuth. Only difference is the restaurant prices are much higher today, but sounds just as good as ever. Great tips, descriptions, and photos.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 12:48 PM

The description of your meal at Zehnder's made my mouth water!! Also, I love a Christmas store, so would have loved stopping by Bronner's- using a cell phone to keep in touch while shopping was a great idea!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 10:35 AM

The Buffet dinner sounds delicious. The roads were probably clogged with fellow Canadians shopping and spending our high-flying dollar.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Frankenmuth

Have you been to Frankenmuth?

Latest Activity in Frankenmuth