"Portland Head Light" Cape Elizabeth by Dabs

Cape Elizabeth Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 60 photos

I was inspired to visit the Portland Head Light after seeing Stephen-KarenConn's page on it and seeing their postcard perfect pictures of this lovely lighthouse.

On our first visit to Cape Elizabeth, we inadvertantly headed towards a different lighthouse and I was less than impressed, it occured to me that we might be seeing it from the wrong angle but it didn't occur to me that there was more than one lighthouse here but in any event we needed to be somewhere and didn't have time to do any more exploring.

The next morning I asked the host at our B&B about it and he shows me a beautiful picture in a book he had on lighthouses and said that we had seen an entirely different lighthouse, that there were several in the area. So we headed back up to Cape Elizabeth to see if we could find the right one. It was a little easier this time, maybe because we were coming in from a different direction or maybe because I actually followed the signs for the Portland Head Light.

• Last visit to Cape Elizabeth: Sep 2007
  • Intro Written Oct 8, 2007

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 3:59 PM

I can definitely see why the Portland Head Light could be the most photographed lighthouse in Maine! Nothing like a grand old stone-built one on sunny day at the coast.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 11:46 AM

I can see why you wanted to photograph Cape Elizabeth light house. This is such a fantastic photograph.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Great photos!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM

I'm so disappointed. We did the same thing Kristi. We visited the Cape Elizabeth lighthouse & somehow it didn't look like the one I thought it was. We never did find the Portland Light House. BooHoo!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Cape Elizabeth

Have you been to Cape Elizabeth?

Latest Activity in Cape Elizabeth