"Belfast, no not THAT Belfast!" Belfast by Dabs

Belfast Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 44 photos

It all came down to a coin flip

Back in 1765 when this city was being settled the naming rights came down to a coin flip, many of the founding fathers wanted to name the city Londonderry after their home in New Hampshire but a settler from Belfast, Ireland, wanted it named after his hometown. I guess it's clear who won...

Belfast was listed in my guidebook as one of the prettiest little towns in Maine and it seemed like a good place to aim for as we were driving down the coast. We stopped here for a stroll through the city, drove around to see a few architecturally interesting sights and then headed back across the bridge to have lunch at Young's Lobster Pound.

Belfast prospered in the 1800s in ship building and trading, many beautiful mansions were built by the sea captains, merchants and ship builders. Even though there was a fire in 1865 you can still see many examples of beautiful homes, many of which were turned into B&Bs.

• Last visit to Belfast: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2009 at 11:02 AM

OH NO!! We are being invaded by Giant Canadian Lobsters...oh the humanity....that is cute. Nice page Dabs's!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Belfast seems like a nice place to sample a slice of 'down East' life!! I've been in the area quite a few times but Maine is so much like New Brunswick that we rarely stopped! Great tips though.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2007 at 1:15 PM

Thanks for showing me the American Belfast.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Yum, and Yum again for the restaurant review. Love the Masonic Temple. What a quaint and lovely little spot to visit. Excellent introduction page.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 4:23 AM

Belfast looks like a lovely town. We drove through it. Robert - would you order a steak at McDonald's??? duh!

• rmdw's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Now I know why I've thrown in the towel to you wrt restaurant reviews. Well done!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Belfast

Have you been to Belfast?

Latest Activity in Belfast