"Bah Hahbah without the huge crowds" Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor by Dabs

Bar Harbor Travel Guide: 216 reviews and 544 photos

When I signed up for the Portsmouth, NH meeting I knew that I would have to add on a couple of days so I could go to Maine, a place I have been dying to visit ever since I saw a Food Network special that featured lobster rolls. Yep, I'm one of those people who travels to eat!

I set Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park as my northernmost stops on the trip and let the rest of the pieces fall into place as we drove.

Even in mid September there were lots of people in Bar Harbor, many of them appearing to be just day tripping to the area. But it wasn't nearly as crowded as I expect it would be in the peak summer months, we had no trouble getting a B&B just a couple of days in advance.

Bar Harbor was an upper class resort town at one time, now it seems to be the gateway to nearby Acadia National Park and a place to relax, shop and enjoy one of the local restaurants.

• Pros:Close to Acadia National Park, cute town with shopping and dining
  • Cons:I imagine it's crowded in the summer, cruise ship port
  • Last visit to Bar Harbor: Sep 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2007

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2008 at 5:02 AM

We are planning a trip to Maine next spring. Your pictures are beautiful and the tips very helpful.

• Tourtech's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2008 at 11:29 AM

Thanks for the great tips.. . Will you make it to Nova Scotia some time? All the best from traveling Canadians!

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Thinking about a trip to Maine for next summer so got some good tips from your page! Nice photos!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2008 at 4:17 AM

We were in Bar Harbor during busy season (Labor Day Weekend) and still found it delightful. Beautiful sunrise shots.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 11:54 AM

The weather was beautiful in September and it looks like you caught some of it in Bar Harbor! That's a nice B&B you found, but I always found them too expensive in BH, especially in the old days of a weak Canuck buck!! Absolutely fantastic sunrise shots!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2007 at 5:06 AM

A great page on Bar Harbor Kristi. Awesome sunrise pic and the B&B was a good choice.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2007 at 2:48 AM

Stunning sunrise photos, plus some happy reminders of our visit there over 10 years ago :)

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Nice write up on BH. We went way back in 1999 or so and had a great time. Those sunrise photos are fake!

• rmdw's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Hey, what about my brilliant video: youtube.com/watch?v=C787plzJ...

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2007 at 11:21 AM

What sensational sunrise photographs, Kristi! I've been to Bar Harbor but in a different season. B&B looks terrific.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Bar Harbor

Have you been to Bar Harbor?