"The Little City on the Lake" Top 5 Page for this destination Whiting by Dabs

Whiting Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 192 photos

Located on the shore of Lake Michigan within a couple of miles of Chicago, Whiting is a small community of about 5,000 people. It's a place where everybody knows everybody (and their business!)

The highlight of the year is the annual Pierogi Fest (see my tips) which was gotten national attention on the Food Network which featured a 1/2 hour special on the 2004 Fest and regional attention on Wild Chicago, a show on PBS Channel 11 that highlights the unusual in the Chicagoland area. I think it was also listed in Saveur magazine as one of the US's best food festivals but I never did see a copy.

Whiting gets it's name from Herbert "Pop" Whiting, an engineer on the Michigan Southern railroad who in 1869 ditched his heavy freight train so a fast passenger train behind him could have the right of way. From that day on, the city was known as Whiting's Siding which was then shortened to Whitings, the present name of Whiting adopted when it incorporated in 1895.

• Pros:Pierogi Fest! Nice place to live, close to Chicago
  • Intro Updated Jun 22, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I remember going through Whiting on Greyhound buses several times, but thought it only consisted of oil refineries. But from your tips I learn that it is also a good place to live. I'm glad that Andrew Carnegie’s library is still recognizable even after two expansions.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      May 29, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I haven't updated this page in awhile, I should probably do that! I don't think the skate park is there anymore, there are new bike trails, a new pizza place in town, John's is closed....Thanks for stopping by!

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I'll never be able to read Frost again without the giggles!! LOLOLOLOLOL!

• Mar 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Found it! They're great as always! Thanks for posting them--Easter wouldn't be the same! :)

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM

And you even worked in a Pepsi plug!!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Well, I have to admit - David does look like a tree wearing a tie around his trunk. hehe! Looks like all had a good time.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2008 at 12:00 PM

Hiya - was intrigued to see yr receommendations to yr Whiting page - after trying Pierogi in Poland and from my Polish flatmate I wouldnt mind going to the Pierogi festival either!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2008 at 11:47 AM

Haha..the Pierogi Fests do look very entertaining! :-) 17 pierogis in 3 minutes??! :-o It took me the best part of half an hour to eat 10 of them...and I was struggling by that point! So, what is the ultimate pierogi filling in your expert opinion? :-)

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Brilliant simply brilliant! I love all the "peeps" on the page. David is multi-talented, these are so funny I had to actually laugh out loud!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Hey Kristi very nice new travelogue,haha I like that Yummy Peep Mobile .Probably too sweet for Lori Nahh it's not to eat eh it is to admire Tell David we think it's pretty Cool ok

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 3:42 PM

You have to congratulate David; this years is so well done. It includes so much in such a clever way. I like that it is serious, funny, historic, and brilliantly CREATIVE.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Whiting

Have you been to Whiting?

Latest Activity in Whiting