"In the heart of Amish country" Shipshewana by Dabs

Shipshewana Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 53 photos

My most recent visit to Shipshewana was on a Wednesday with my husband when we decided to have a "play hooky" day from work. We always follow the same path, a stop to moo at the cows at the livestock auction, a brief stop at the general auction, a trip through the vast, but repetitive flea market selling cheap Chinese junk and sinfully fattening baked goods. Then it's off to Essenhaus for a gut busting Amish family style lunch.

We try to make it out to Shipshewana at least once a summer for the auction held on Wednesdays. Sometimes we find a good bargain, sometimes not, but it's always fun to watch. It's an easy day trip to take from Chicago or some people spend the whole weekend. Since I like the flea market and auction, we do it as a day trip.

Essenhaus in nearby Middlebury is a must for lunch or dinner, the food is plentiful and excellent and there is a bakery next door so you can take home what your stomach didn't have room for.

The Amish

Shipshewana and the surrounding communities of Goshen, Elkhart, Nappanee, Bristol, Middlebury and Wakarusa is home to more than 20,000 Amish, the third largest Amish-settled area in North America. You will see some of them working in the stores and restaurants in the nearby towns and along the roads with their buggies and horses. We didn't have enough time to visit Mennohof but if you are interested in the history of the Amish in this area, they do guided tours that last for approximately 1 1/2 hours.

• Last visit to Shipshewana: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 3:03 AM

An interesting page Kristi - I especially liked the local customs tips and the beautiful quilts (and the quilt garden is such a nice idea too). And great restaurant tip as Dee so rightly says!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Looking forward to visiting

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2007 at 12:32 PM

It's been some time since I've visited Shipshewana. I'll have to return. Your pages are excellent. I especially enjoyed your restaurant page. [of course]

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2005 at 2:06 PM

Do the Amish go to the auctions too? I wasn't expecting to find them here. The only time I have seen them was when I experienced Intercourse

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2004 at 2:16 PM

Even if it's not big place to visit I would love to see the antiques sold there (and the way it works), taste family style food and first of all look at Amish culture I never knew.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Feb 7, 2004 at 11:01 AM

Such an interesting name.

• meteorologist1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2003 at 8:06 AM

Great tips on Shipshewana. I also enjoyed the Amish Country.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Shipshewana

Have you been to Shipshewana?

Latest Activity in Shipshewana