"In the heart of Amish country" Shipshewana by Dabs
Shipshewana Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 62 photos
My most recent visit to Shipshewana was on a Wednesday with my husband when we decided to have a "play hooky" day from work. We always follow the same path, a stop to moo at the cows at the livestock auction, a brief stop at the general auction, a trip through the vast, but repetitive flea market selling cheap Chinese junk and sinfully fattening baked goods. Then it's off to Essenhaus for a gut busting Amish family style lunch.
We try to make it out to Shipshewana at least once a summer for the auction held on Wednesdays. Sometimes we find a good bargain, sometimes not, but it's always fun to watch. It's an easy day trip to take from Chicago or some people spend the whole weekend. Since I like the flea market and auction, we do it as a day trip.
Essenhaus in nearby Middlebury is a must for lunch or dinner, the food is plentiful and excellent and there is a bakery next door so you can take home what your stomach didn't have room for.
Shipshewana and the surrounding communities of Goshen, Elkhart, Nappanee, Bristol, Middlebury and Wakarusa is home to more than 20,000 Amish, the third largest Amish-settled area in North America. You will see some of them working in the stores and restaurants in the nearby towns and along the roads with their buggies and horses. We didn't have enough time to visit Mennohof but if you are interested in the history of the Amish in this area, they do guided tours that last for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
When I visit with my husband, he is never interested in going into any of the shops so this was the 1st time I had ever... more travel advice
As we were browsing through one of the gift shops, Jo noticed that the dolls didn't have any faces. The clerk at the... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Shipshewana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the heart of Amish country"
- "Indiana’s Amish Country: A Serenely Simple Life"
- "Enjoy Time Travel in Shipshewana, Indiana"
- "Amish Home in Shipshewana"
- "Flea Market Heaven"
- "Shipshewana, Indiana Flea Market"
- "SHIPSHEWANA, INDIANA: HEART OF THE AMISH COUNTRY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shipshewana
- Restaurants in Shipshewana
- Shopping in Shipshewana
- Warnings and Dangers in Shipshewana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shipshewana
- 10 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Shipshewana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shipshewana
Photos in ShipshewanaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues