"I don't live in a cornfield" Top 5 Page for this destination Hammond by Dabs

Hammond Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 175 photos

Summer on George Lake

The Robertsdale section of Hammond, Indiana has been my home since 1989 when I got married to my husband David who was born and raised right down the street from where we currently live. His mother still lives down the street from us and while some might gasp in horror at that prospect there are all kinds of fringe benefits including babysitting the dog and cats while we are on vacation, Sunday lunch and home made cookies (my scale may not agree that the last one is a benefit!)

When asked where we live when abroad, I often tell people I live in Chicago, tell people you live in Indiana and immediately they think you are a farmer (just ask my VT friend rmdw). In reality, I live about a mile from the Chicago city limits, 30 minutes from downtown Chicago, in a pleasant residential community surrounded by industry.

Like many industrial areas it has upsides-low property taxes, reasonable housing costs and downsides-industrial smells and scenery that includes smokestacks and hulking factories. Depending on which way the wind is blowing the smells can be soap (not so bad), rotting corn or an odd rotting pumpkin smell that no one can explain to me.

Don't get me wrong, I realize that industry is a positive thing, it creates jobs and provides the US with a product to sell other than Big Macs and Whoppers. But for someone growing up on the North Shore of Chicago, it took a little adjusting to equate industry not with the sweet smell of Sara Lee coffee cake but with the grittier steel mills and oil refineries.

Industry and nature

For an industrial area, there are many natural areas, you just have to know where to look. We are surrounded by water-Lake Michigan to the east and the north, George Lake to the south and Wolf Lake to the west.

Winter on George Lake

As if you need any further proof that my husband is a little nutty, here he is out on a bitterly cold January day taking his ice boat for a spin. I think he eventually started feeling his thumbs again about 24 hours later!

• Pros:Sense of community, low cost of living
  • Cons:ooh, that smell!
  • In a nutshell:There's no place like home
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2005

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Happy New Year Kristi. I hope you have fascinating travels in 2012.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2009 at 9:34 PM

The windsurfing looks fun, but very cold! The ice boating......burrrrrrr! You gotta be hardcore for that:-) Nice updates!

• MJB123's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Welcome Back to frigid reality Krisiti. Hammond was featured yesterday on PBS as the setting for "A Christmas Story. Hope your Christmas turkey does not get eaten by the dog- making you and David eat out at a Chinese restaruant.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Been there (sort of)! I'd love to get on the trolley of terror and see the obscene rabbit sculpture. Maybe next time?

• johncrichton's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Used to go to the Golden Shell in the 80s, I remember the breaded hamburger was great!The family style breakfast was huge. I worked on the East Side, we had our holiday party there. It was a great place to end the day early (with the Boss) on a Saturday.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2008 at 7:20 PM

Awesome! Is he like 500 pounds?

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM

The only ones that really make out with our long long long primary season are the people creating all those ads. England has a much more practical way.

• iris2002's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2008 at 6:07 AM

Awww how nice is Hammond --- and ain't nothing wrong gal, livin in a cornfield, I like cornfields ;)... .... sigh - dream on Iris :P (-3outside and awaiting a blizzard today )

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Indiana! I don't think "cornfields" but I do think staunch, sturdy - much like where I grew up in PA.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2007 at 5:35 AM

hey where are your chickens and goats?Nice visiting Dabs community thanks.and you guys are impressively amazing!thanks for the Neiman info too - his stuffs amazing -pity about the cigar stuck on his face?

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Hammond

Have you been to Hammond?

Latest Activity in Hammond