"Skokie" Skokie by Dabs

Skokie Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 2 photos

Skokie is a suburb to the north of Chicago, easily reachable by expressway.

The only things that have ever drawn me there are Old Orchard mall and the Northlight Theatre.

• Intro Written Apr 17, 2004

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I don't know if I should admit this in public, but I grew up half a block from Skokie and used to ride my bike over there quite often. The border between Evanston and Skokie was very obvious because Skokie was wet and Evanston was dry, so the Skokie side of the border was lined with bars and liquor stores. When Old Orchard was first built, they changed the name of Harrison Street to Old Orchard Road, which at the time I considered an inappropriate pandering to commercial interests.
    (I was maybe sixteen at the time.)

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Sep 30, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Evanston is not dry anymore, I'm sure I've had a drink there. Old Orchard was a big deal when it was built I imagine, I lived closer to Northbrook and remember when Northbrook Court was put in.

• Maria250's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Thank you for stopping by, and glad you made it back well. Yes, San Antonio is marvelous! Billy's was nice a bit too smokey for me - yet a nice & big spot! Will start w/my pages a lil' later.

• johncudw's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2008 at 7:24 PM

Used to live near Skokie, in Evanston. on Park Place. Ever drive down that street?

• XtravelloverX's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 4:02 PM

You must let the Pita Inn in Skokie draw you there now. I need to create a tip on this place as it has incredible food with a grocery store next door!!!

• Braveheart.southafrr's Profile Photo
    Sep 7, 2004 at 7:34 PM

kristi i hope to be in chicago soon the theatre sounds like fun .....kenneth

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2004 at 9:35 AM

Interesting info on the theatre there. Btw "skoki" means jumps in Polish - do they jump there? I pay approx. $5 for a ticket to the best theatre in Poland (directed by Oscar winner Wajda). Let's live Polish prices! :-)

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Skokie