"The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by Dabs

Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos

I've been meaning to visit Oak Park for years now, everytime I drove by those brown historic markers on highway 290 I'd say "we really should visit there someday". And today I finally did it!

One of my favorite houses that we saw on our self guided walking tour was the Nathan G. Moore House (Moore-Dugal Residence) located at 333 N. Forest Avenue. It was Frank Lloyd Wright's first independent commission in Oak Park, completed in 1895, after he left the employ of Adler & Sullivan, two other famous Chicago architects. A fire destroyed the 3rd and 4th floors in 1922 and Wright redesigned it, a plaque on the side of the house shows the original design compared to the redesign. That really large wall that appears to be bisecting the front 1/3 of the house is part of the redesign, for some reason it really bothers me but I love the rest of the design.

Another one of Wright's design that I especially liked was the Rollin Furbeck house built in 1897. Once again there is one element I don't care for, the columns that appear on the front of the house.

I wondered as we were walking around just who lived in these massive homes located well outside the center of the city of Chicago. This house was a wedding present for Rollin Furbeck, the third of five sons, from his stockbroker father, Warren F. Furbeck. He also gave his son George a Wright designed house at 223 North Euclid as a wedding gift. Rollin only lived here for about one year, ownership has transferred hands many times since.

The Arthur Heurtley home, built in 1902 on Forest, is an example of what Frank Lloyd Wright would become famous for, the Prairie Style, which emphasizes the horizontal lines and wide open spaces on the interior. Another fine example of the Prairie Style is the Robie House which can be found in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood.

• Pros:Fabulous architecture, tree lined streets
  • In a nutshell:A perfect day trip from Chicago for architecture buffs
  • Last visit to Oak Park: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I lived here for a brief time when worked in Chicago. Took the train to the city because like you say driving is an adventure plus crowded. Great memories of a wonderful suburb with elegance. Thanks

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2009 at 7:16 AM

Frank Lloyd Wright is so recognisable, isn't he? Great Oak Park page Kristi!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 11:10 AM

GREEK AND IMPROV! I KNEW I GOT YOU TO AT LEAST THINK ABOUT IT! Well No rush to commit. Just continue to mull it over. (You can do laissez faire style; I witnessed it can work.)

• LauraWest's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2006 at 1:10 AM

Great Wright photos! And the web site of his homes for sale, & sold, is amazing, and your tips R excellent!

• MJB123's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2006 at 3:35 PM

Excellent Oak Park Pages Krisiti. You must go back to have dolmatias at my favorite (Greek) restaraunt on Oak Park Ave, and Lake--Papaspiros. I am off to Oak Park Library right now.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 10:44 AM

Kristi, what a wonderful view and read of Oak Park. Lots of practical and honest tips about this lovely architectual city. Always appreciate visiting your well written pages that are so helpful to travelers.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2006 at 12:15 PM

Love that tip about the old MF store! We loved Oak Park when we visited there years ago. Isn't there a Shakespeare in the Park held in Oak Park?

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2006 at 4:56 PM

Thanks for the tips on Oak Park. I was there for the Wright house and grounds, walked the neighborhood, but sadly didn't know about the Hemingway connection. I would have liked that after seeing his house in Key West. Maybe next time.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Oak Park

Have you been to Oak Park?

Latest Activity in Oak Park