"The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built" Top 5 Page for this destination Oak Park by Dabs
Oak Park Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 148 photos
I've been meaning to visit Oak Park for years now, everytime I drove by those brown historic markers on highway 290 I'd say "we really should visit there someday". And today I finally did it!
One of my favorite houses that we saw on our self guided walking tour was the Nathan G. Moore House (Moore-Dugal Residence) located at 333 N. Forest Avenue. It was Frank Lloyd Wright's first independent commission in Oak Park, completed in 1895, after he left the employ of Adler & Sullivan, two other famous Chicago architects. A fire destroyed the 3rd and 4th floors in 1922 and Wright redesigned it, a plaque on the side of the house shows the original design compared to the redesign. That really large wall that appears to be bisecting the front 1/3 of the house is part of the redesign, for some reason it really bothers me but I love the rest of the design.
Another one of Wright's design that I especially liked was the Rollin Furbeck house built in 1897. Once again there is one element I don't care for, the columns that appear on the front of the house.
I wondered as we were walking around just who lived in these massive homes located well outside the center of the city of Chicago. This house was a wedding present for Rollin Furbeck, the third of five sons, from his stockbroker father, Warren F. Furbeck. He also gave his son George a Wright designed house at 223 North Euclid as a wedding gift. Rollin only lived here for about one year, ownership has transferred hands many times since.
The Arthur Heurtley home, built in 1902 on Forest, is an example of what Frank Lloyd Wright would become famous for, the Prairie Style, which emphasizes the horizontal lines and wide open spaces on the interior. Another fine example of the Prairie Style is the Robie House which can be found in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood.
- Pros:Fabulous architecture, tree lined streets
- In a nutshell:A perfect day trip from Chicago for architecture buffs
In addition to all the Frank Lloyd Wright homes, there are many other homes in Oak Park that are sure to impress you.... more travel advice
American author, Ernest Hemingway was born in Oak Park in 1899 in the house that stands at 339 N. Oak Park Avenue, a... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Oak Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Cultural and Educational Trip to Oak Park"
- "The town that Frank Lloyd Wright built"
- "Beautiful Historic Suburb of Chicago"
- "It's all about Frank ..."
- "Me and Ernest Hemingway"
- "Frank Lloyd Wright's House & Studio"
- "Oak Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oak Park
- Hotels in Oak Park
- Transportation in Oak Park
- Restaurants in Oak Park
- Shopping in Oak Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Oak Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oak Park
- 12 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Oak Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oak Park
Photos in Oak ParkSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues