"Deerfield" Deerfield by Dabs
Deerfield Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 6 photos
I remember the 1st time the 17 year cicadas invaded back in 1973 when I was in grade school, I didn't think they were so cool then as the little boys thought they were so delightful to torment the little girls with. Somehow I missed the 1990 batch, we don't have them where I live but my dad who lives in a northern suburb of Chicago is besieged with the little red eyed critters. They make a really loud racket when they are flying around and when you pick them up it's almost like they are screaming at you! My dad's yard is littered with their shells which hang from the trees, dead cicadas who are literally dropping dead in front of you, cicadas mating or diving bombing at you or circling in the trees up above. The local papers have eaten printed cicada recipes but that's a little much for me...
I thought I'd add a chapter on Deerfield as I spent my formative years from age 8 to 18 here and still visit family there on a regular basis.
Most of the Deerfield I knew as a kid has been demolished and yuppified. The downtown area has virtually nothing left from the days of my youth, Ford Pharamacy-gone, the record store that we frequented-gone, Mr. Adams (the place we used to go to get french fries and shakes after school)-gone. Lindemann's Pharmacy-gone, I took the photo at the right while the bulldozers were on standby.
The Sara Lee factory that wafted out the glorious smell of Butter Streusel coffee cake has been mowed down to create yet another subdivision with houses that indistinguishable from their neighbors.
My grade school was knocked over and a park now stands on the grounds (OK, that was an improvement).
Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place to grow up. The streets are lined with trees, it was safe for kids to play outside even at night, the school system was good.
At the time, it seemed to me to be a nice middle class place to grow up.
I grew up on Tony's Subs, it moved from it's original location on Deerfield Road to its present home on Waukegan Road,... more travel advice
Deerfield is well served by Metra's Milwaukee District North line, it takes 45 minutes to an hour to get to downtown... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Deerfield Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Deerfield
- 5 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (158)
Have you been to Deerfield?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deerfield
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 610 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues