"Deerfield" Deerfield by Dabs

Deerfield Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 6 photos

I remember the 1st time the 17 year cicadas invaded back in 1973 when I was in grade school, I didn't think they were so cool then as the little boys thought they were so delightful to torment the little girls with. Somehow I missed the 1990 batch, we don't have them where I live but my dad who lives in a northern suburb of Chicago is besieged with the little red eyed critters. They make a really loud racket when they are flying around and when you pick them up it's almost like they are screaming at you! My dad's yard is littered with their shells which hang from the trees, dead cicadas who are literally dropping dead in front of you, cicadas mating or diving bombing at you or circling in the trees up above. The local papers have eaten printed cicada recipes but that's a little much for me...

I thought I'd add a chapter on Deerfield as I spent my formative years from age 8 to 18 here and still visit family there on a regular basis.

Most of the Deerfield I knew as a kid has been demolished and yuppified. The downtown area has virtually nothing left from the days of my youth, Ford Pharamacy-gone, the record store that we frequented-gone, Mr. Adams (the place we used to go to get french fries and shakes after school)-gone. Lindemann's Pharmacy-gone, I took the photo at the right while the bulldozers were on standby.

The Sara Lee factory that wafted out the glorious smell of Butter Streusel coffee cake has been mowed down to create yet another subdivision with houses that indistinguishable from their neighbors.

My grade school was knocked over and a park now stands on the grounds (OK, that was an improvement).

Don't get me wrong, it was a nice place to grow up. The streets are lined with trees, it was safe for kids to play outside even at night, the school system was good.

At the time, it seemed to me to be a nice middle class place to grow up.

• Last visit to Deerfield: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2007

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2006 at 7:09 AM

OK....so just don't go back anymore. The pie shaped house would do it for me. They call this sort of thing progress????

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2004 at 5:40 PM

What an interesting house. I have not seen it. But the price is ridiculous. It's sad when all the good mememories are torn down.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2003 at 6:39 AM

Could we buy the pie house for VT? Haha, rather not! It seems that Deerfield (any deer there? :-)looks maybe better but somewhat strange for you, right?

• BabciaMaine's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2003 at 6:04 PM

why pie?

Dabs Used To Live Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Deerfield

Have you been to Deerfield?

Latest Activity in Deerfield