"The place I call home" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by Dabs

Chicago Travel Guide: 5,967 reviews and 12,259 photos

When I'm not busy jaunting around Europe...

I'm having fun in my hometown of Chicago. Summer is my favorite time of the year in Chicago, the city really comes to life from Memorial Day until Labor Day with a multitude of festivals every weekend, the lakefront is jammed packed with bicyclists, walkers, joggers and roller bladers, the al fresco dining areas are open, it's perfect weather to hop on a boat and go for a ride on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River or catch the Cubs at Wrigley Field or the White Sox at Cellular Field.

Current/Coming Soon Hot Events in Chicago

Book of Mormon is back for a limited run through May 17, 2015

The Field Museum has a special exhibit on Vikings Friday, February 27, 2015 to Sunday, October 4, 2015

Everyone likes free things to do, especially in this economy, here's a list of FREE THINGS TO DO

There are a ton of daily deal sights but the original and the one with the best offers is Groupon, I've bought many of them now and they are a great deal!

One to see discounted entertainment options for specific dates is Goldstar, I've bought tickets for several shows through Goldstar

If you are looking for some ideas on what to do in Chicago for the Christmas holidays, have a look here

Late Spring/Early Summer starts festival season, here's a guide to the city's official festival listing

**Choose Chicago festival guide**

2015 Festivals, the BIG ONES

**32nd Annual Chicago Blues Festival, June 12-14**30th Annual Chicago Gospel Music Festival, May 29-31**35th Annual Taste of Chicago, July 8-12**Lollapalooza July 31-August 2**57th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show, August 15-16**37th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival, Sept 3-6**17th Annual World Music Festival, September 11-22**

Monster Page

I've lived in and around Chicago since I was 8 years old and like many Chicagoans love this city and can't imagine living anywhere else (just don't ask me that question in February when the wind chills have dipped below zero!!!) My Chicago page has turned into a monster page, since joining VT I keep finding things that I want to share with all of you-interesting architecture, neighborhoods to explore, restaurants that I want to try...

I've tried to organize the tips into sections to make it easier to navigate if you use author's order

Must Sees
Top 10 which is what most visitors to Chicago will see, I know there are dozens of tips on these but I wanted to have a complete page
Art Institute, Cultural Center, Shedd Aquarium, Hancock Building, Architectural River Cruise, Buckingham Fountain, Lincoln Park Zoo, Museum of Science & Industry, Sears (Willis) Tower, Field Museum

I guess I could even make it a top 15 since I've left out seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley Field, Blue Clubs, shopping on Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier and Pierogi Fest :-)

Architecture which is one of my favorite things about Chicago, here's a few of my favorites
Chicago Tribune Tower
Wrigley Building
Carbide & Carbon Building
Rookery

Public art the major public art in the city
Misc things that don't fit anywhere else

Food

I've tried to identify the neighborhood that the restaurants are in, the NMA (North Michigan Avenue), River North and Loop restaurants are the most centrally located and I've located them together if you use author's order. If I've made a more recent visit than the tip, I try to remember to note that at the top so you know if the information is current. Here are a few of my favorite spots:
Italian-Rosebud on Taylor in Little Italy, there's also a location on Rush Street downtown
Greek-Greek Islands
Mexican-Salpicon or Adobo Grill
Spanish-Cafe Iberico
Steaks-Wildfire for more casual, Morton's for a special occasion
Pizza-Lou Malnati's, Edwardo's, Giordano's
Seafood-Joe's Stone Crab or Shaw's
Dim Sum-Shui Wah in Chinatown
Chinese-Lao Sze Sichaun in Chinatown
American contemporary Atwood Cafe
Breakfast-Bongo Room
Indian-Tiffin or Viceroy on Devon Avenue

Off the beaten path
Chicago is a city of neighborhoods that Chicago visitors often don't get a chance to see as they are outside the central area. If you are staying longer than a weekend, venture out into the neighborhoods to have a meal at one of the terrific ethnic restaurants throughout the city, take a free tour with a Chicago Greeter or one of the excellent tours offered by the Architecture Foundation. Here's a couple of my favorite neighborhoods:

Hyde Park
Pullman

Top 10 reasons to visit Chicago

Chicago is often overlooked as a tourist destination for overseas visitors, it's the 3rd largest city and yet is only the 9th popular for overseas visitors, partially because of it's Midwestern location and partially because people thinking of visiting a large US city choose New York. Here's my top 10 list of reasons to visit Chicago:
Chicago Top 10

Center Stage
Chicago Loop Alliance Loop walking tours
Yelp, user reviews
LTH Forum dining reviews

• Pros:Architecture, museums, FOOD!
  • Cons:Cold and snowy winters
  • In a nutshell:My favorite city in the US
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2015

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2015 at 8:05 PM

I drove the Fairytale road during a 4 day stopover between planes from Thailand to Scotland, the very first time in Germany and loved it. Headed back to Germany for self drives many times after being so impressed.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Mongolia sounds interesting, have fun! All kinds of stuff on the Fairy Tale Road online, I'm sure I'll narrow it down at some point.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
      Mar 3, 2015 at 4:56 PM

thanks Dabs,nearly packed, will go next door for breakfast and then look for a taxi and off to the huoche zhan! and its thousands of travellers there lol to find my way around ;) yeah it wont be difficult narrowing it down, well for me i just sort of have a plan and then see how things are on the ground, never needed to commit too much ahead though deciding whether Rhine area or Fairytale...both will be lovely, but so many lovely timbered buildings along the fairytale road! all the best to your plans!

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:28 PM

I'm glad to see you are keeping this big page up to date.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Mar 2, 2015 at 6:05 PM

I don't have a lot of time these days but I do try :-) Trying to plan a trip to Germany for May, debating between the Rhine Valley and the Fairy Tale Road

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:48 PM

I'd take the Rhine Valley, but that's just me.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM

Hi, Kristi! Your page is a real travel encyclopedia of Chicago! Thanks a lot!

Jun 27, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Me again, coming back to read some of your new tips and updates since 2012. I haven't been back to Chicago for twenty-five years now, but it still seems like home, sort of.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM

As a child I used to go to the games at Wrigley Field sometimes, but then when I was nine years old the Cubs had a thirty-six game losing streak. I was so disappointed I vowed never to set foot in Wrigley Field again, and thus far I haven’t.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 8:04 AM

Hello, Kristi!~ What an interesting page! It's very detailed and comprehensible...

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Nice--Much better than that dour "American Gothic" couple!

• DSwede's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2011 at 1:03 AM

Yeah, I know there's no corn there... I dated a girl for a long while who was from Merriville and the family was spread across Schererville, Crown Point, etc. Even that far south is just barely on the fringes of corn.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Hi Kristi, Just looking for pix of the latest vt meet mate. Got any?... Cheers, Ann.

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Wow! Only 1 comment on your Chicago page in 2011 and that from Kaspian. Is anybody looking at our Chicago pages anymore??

Dabs Lives Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Chicago

• 1,162 Forum posts

Have you been to Chicago?

Latest Activity in Chicago