"The place I call home" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by Dabs
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,992 reviews and 12,655 photos
I'm having fun in my hometown of Chicago. Summer is my favorite time of the year in Chicago, the city really comes to life from Memorial Day until Labor Day with a multitude of festivals every weekend, the lakefront is jammed packed with bicyclists, walkers, joggers and roller bladers, the al fresco dining areas are open, it's perfect weather to hop on a boat and go for a ride on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River or catch the Cubs at Wrigley Field or the White Sox at Cellular Field.
Current/Coming Soon Hot Events in Chicago
IT'S ALMOST SUMMER!!!! Here's a guide to some of the festivals in Chicago during the warmer months Red Eye guide to summer festivals
Everyone likes free things to do, especially in this economy, here's a list of FREE THINGS TO DO
There are a ton of daily deal sights but the original and the one with the best offers is Groupon, I've bought many of them now and they are a great deal!
One to see discounted entertainment options for specific dates is Goldstar, I've bought tickets for several shows through Goldstar
If you are looking for some ideas on what to do in Chicago for the Christmas holidays, have a look here
Late Spring/Early Summer starts festival season, here's a guide to the city's official festival listing
**Choose Chicago festival guide**
2016 Festivals, the BIG ONES**33rd Annual Chicago Blues Festival, June 10-12**31st Annual Chicago Gospel Music Festival, June 3-4**36th Annual Taste of Chicago, July 6-10**Lollapalooza July 28-31**58th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show, August 20-21**38th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival, Sept 1-4**18th Annual World Music Festival, September 9-25**
I've lived in and around Chicago since I was 8 years old and like many Chicagoans love this city and can't imagine living anywhere else (just don't ask me that question in February when the wind chills have dipped below zero!!!) My Chicago page has turned into a monster page, since joining VT I keep finding things that I want to share with all of you-interesting architecture, neighborhoods to explore, restaurants that I want to try...
I've tried to organize the tips into sections to make it easier to navigate if you use author's order
Top 10 which is what most visitors to Chicago will see, I know there are dozens of tips on these but I wanted to have a complete page
Art Institute, Cultural Center, Shedd Aquarium, Hancock Building, Architectural River Cruise, Buckingham Fountain, Lincoln Park Zoo, Museum of Science & Industry, Sears (Willis) Tower, Field Museum
I guess I could even make it a top 15 since I've left out seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley Field, Blue Clubs, shopping on Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier and Pierogi Fest :-)
Architecture which is one of my favorite things about Chicago, here's a few of my favorites
Chicago Tribune Tower
Carbide & Carbon Building
Public art the major public art in the city
Misc things that don't fit anywhere else
I've tried to identify the neighborhood that the restaurants are in, the NMA (North Michigan Avenue), River North and Loop restaurants are the most centrally located and I've located them together if you use author's order. If I've made a more recent visit than the tip, I try to remember to note that at the top so you know if the information is current. Here are a few of my favorite spots:
Italian-Rosebud on Taylor in Little Italy, there's also a location on Rush Street downtown
Mexican-Salpicon or Adobo Grill
Steaks-Wildfire for more casual, Morton's for a special occasion
Pizza-Lou Malnati's, Edwardo's, Giordano's
Seafood-Joe's Stone Crab or Shaw's
Dim Sum-Shui Wah in Chinatown
Chinese-Lao Sze Sichaun in Chinatown
American contemporary Atwood Cafe
Indian-Tiffin or Viceroy on Devon Avenue
Off the beaten path
Chicago is a city of neighborhoods that Chicago visitors often don't get a chance to see as they are outside the central area. If you are staying longer than a weekend, venture out into the neighborhoods to have a meal at one of the terrific ethnic restaurants throughout the city, take a free tour with a Chicago Greeter or one of the excellent tours offered by the Architecture Foundation. Here's a couple of my favorite neighborhoods:
Chicago is often overlooked as a tourist destination for overseas visitors, it's the 3rd largest city and yet is only the 9th popular for overseas visitors, partially because of it's Midwestern location and partially because people thinking of visiting a large US city choose New York. Here's my top 10 list of reasons to visit Chicago:
Chicago Top 10
Best websites on Chicago:
Chicago Loop Alliance Loop walking tours
Yelp, user reviews
LTH Forum dining reviews
- Pros:Architecture, museums, FOOD!
- Cons:Cold and snowy winters
- In a nutshell:My favorite city in the US
I generally don't eat at trendy restaurants, I usually end up being disappointed in the food and appalled at the... more travel advice
Sundays in the Loop means that it's going to be difficult finding a place to eat that is open, their main business comes... more travel advice
- See All Magnificent Mile hotel
- See All Concert venues-Orchestra Hall
- See All Chicago's flag
- See All Best spots for photography
- See All Chicago Blackhawks
- See All Flash mobs
Dabs' Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 416 Reviews
- 608 Photos
- 1,191 Forum posts
- 127 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (153)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: Which 3 or 4 stars hotel..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Chicago tips
- Uploaded a Photo to "Popular diner on West Randolph Street"
- Wrote a Review Popular diner on West Randolph Street about Little Goat Diner in Chicago Restaurants
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "The place I call home"
- Commented on the Chicago travel guide
Photos in ChicagoSee All Photos (608)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 416 reviews, 611 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 112 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues