"The place I call home" Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago by Dabs
Chicago Travel Guide: 5,967 reviews and 12,259 photos
I'm having fun in my hometown of Chicago. Summer is my favorite time of the year in Chicago, the city really comes to life from Memorial Day until Labor Day with a multitude of festivals every weekend, the lakefront is jammed packed with bicyclists, walkers, joggers and roller bladers, the al fresco dining areas are open, it's perfect weather to hop on a boat and go for a ride on Lake Michigan or the Chicago River or catch the Cubs at Wrigley Field or the White Sox at Cellular Field.
Current/Coming Soon Hot Events in Chicago
Book of Mormon is back for a limited run through May 17, 2015
The Field Museum has a special exhibit on Vikings Friday, February 27, 2015 to Sunday, October 4, 2015
Everyone likes free things to do, especially in this economy, here's a list of FREE THINGS TO DO
There are a ton of daily deal sights but the original and the one with the best offers is Groupon, I've bought many of them now and they are a great deal!
One to see discounted entertainment options for specific dates is Goldstar, I've bought tickets for several shows through Goldstar
If you are looking for some ideas on what to do in Chicago for the Christmas holidays, have a look here
Late Spring/Early Summer starts festival season, here's a guide to the city's official festival listing
**Choose Chicago festival guide**
2015 Festivals, the BIG ONES
**32nd Annual Chicago Blues Festival, June 12-14**30th Annual Chicago Gospel Music Festival, May 29-31**35th Annual Taste of Chicago, July 8-12**Lollapalooza July 31-August 2**57th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show, August 15-16**37th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival, Sept 3-6**17th Annual World Music Festival, September 11-22**
I've lived in and around Chicago since I was 8 years old and like many Chicagoans love this city and can't imagine living anywhere else (just don't ask me that question in February when the wind chills have dipped below zero!!!) My Chicago page has turned into a monster page, since joining VT I keep finding things that I want to share with all of you-interesting architecture, neighborhoods to explore, restaurants that I want to try...
I've tried to organize the tips into sections to make it easier to navigate if you use author's order
Top 10 which is what most visitors to Chicago will see, I know there are dozens of tips on these but I wanted to have a complete page
Art Institute, Cultural Center, Shedd Aquarium, Hancock Building, Architectural River Cruise, Buckingham Fountain, Lincoln Park Zoo, Museum of Science & Industry, Sears (Willis) Tower, Field Museum
I guess I could even make it a top 15 since I've left out seeing the Cubs play at Wrigley Field, Blue Clubs, shopping on Michigan Avenue, Navy Pier and Pierogi Fest :-)
Architecture which is one of my favorite things about Chicago, here's a few of my favorites
Chicago Tribune Tower
Carbide & Carbon Building
Public art the major public art in the city
Misc things that don't fit anywhere else
I've tried to identify the neighborhood that the restaurants are in, the NMA (North Michigan Avenue), River North and Loop restaurants are the most centrally located and I've located them together if you use author's order. If I've made a more recent visit than the tip, I try to remember to note that at the top so you know if the information is current. Here are a few of my favorite spots:
Italian-Rosebud on Taylor in Little Italy, there's also a location on Rush Street downtown
Mexican-Salpicon or Adobo Grill
Steaks-Wildfire for more casual, Morton's for a special occasion
Pizza-Lou Malnati's, Edwardo's, Giordano's
Seafood-Joe's Stone Crab or Shaw's
Dim Sum-Shui Wah in Chinatown
Chinese-Lao Sze Sichaun in Chinatown
American contemporary Atwood Cafe
Indian-Tiffin or Viceroy on Devon Avenue
Off the beaten path
Chicago is a city of neighborhoods that Chicago visitors often don't get a chance to see as they are outside the central area. If you are staying longer than a weekend, venture out into the neighborhoods to have a meal at one of the terrific ethnic restaurants throughout the city, take a free tour with a Chicago Greeter or one of the excellent tours offered by the Architecture Foundation. Here's a couple of my favorite neighborhoods:
Chicago is often overlooked as a tourist destination for overseas visitors, it's the 3rd largest city and yet is only the 9th popular for overseas visitors, partially because of it's Midwestern location and partially because people thinking of visiting a large US city choose New York. Here's my top 10 list of reasons to visit Chicago:
Chicago Top 10
Best websites on Chicago:
Chicago Loop Alliance Loop walking tours
Yelp, user reviews
LTH Forum dining reviews
- Pros:Architecture, museums, FOOD!
- Cons:Cold and snowy winters
- In a nutshell:My favorite city in the US
A lot of locals list La Scarola as their favorite Italian restaurant so after years of saying I was going to try it, we... more travel advice
I hadn't been to Chinatown in a long time for dim sum, not since my favorite Shui Wah shut it's doors, so when I saw a... more travel advice
- See All Magnificent Mile hotel
- See All Concert venues-Orchestra Hall
- See All Best spots for photography
- See All Chicago Blackhawks
- See All Flash mobs
- See All One day in Chicago
Dabs' Related Pages
Chicago Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The place I call home"
- "Captivating City of "The Big Shoulders": Chicago"
- "Never A Lovely So Real"
- "Chicago - My Favorite City in the United States!"
- "Sweet Home Chicago!"
- "Chicago - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chicago
- Hotels in Chicago
- Transportation in Chicago
- Nightlife in Chicago
- Restaurants in Chicago
- Shopping in Chicago
- Warnings and Dangers in Chicago
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chicago
- 412 Reviews
- 596 Photos
- 1,162 Forum posts
- 123 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Chicago?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chicago
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: Tours or not"
- Commented on one of riorich55's Chicago tips
- updated a Chicago Travel Page "The place I call home"
- Wrote a Review NMA-Classic Chicago steakhouse about Morton's Steakhouse in Chicago Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Theater in Chicago-Oriental Theater"
- Commented on the Chicago travel guide
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 271 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues