Orlando Favorite Tips by Dabs
Orlando Favorites: 243 reviews and 180 photos
Favorite thing: Here are some of the best spots to watch the parades and fireworks:
Share a Dream Come True Parade-starts in Frontierland and the start is less crowded, you'll finish watching first
SpectroMagic night parade-starts near the entrance, good location for being the first to leave or first to finish watching, less crowded
Wishes Fireworks-if you want to see TinkerBell fly, position yourself near the statue of Walt Disney near Cinderella's Castle (on the side of the castle closest to the entrance)
Credit card booths at the Magic Kingdom
Favorite thing: You can purchase tickets online for a slight extra cost for shipping and handling. I thought we could buy ours at our resort but they said for the one day tickets that they would just give us a voucher that we had to redeem. We kept seeing very long lines at the ticket booths at EPCOT and at the monorail transfer point so we waited until we got to the Magic Kingdom and I spotted a credit card purchase machine with no line right next to the Will Call which was also selling tickets. It was a bit later in the day though (around 11:30), it may be busier earlier in the day.
Favorite thing: One of the things I like best about DisneyWorld is the introduction of FastPass which saves an incredible amount of time that you would have spent standing in line doing something else. Only the popular rides with the longest lines utilize FastPass, they are marked in the Park map, you get the FastPass by inserting your admission ticket into the FastPass machine in front of the attraction. The return time window is marked at the entrance to the ride and on the FastPass ticket.
We got a FastPass for Stitch's Great Escape (waste of time) first, our return window was about an hour later so we went off to go on something else while we were waiting for our slot. The FastPass line usually goes pretty quickly, certainly much quicker than standing in the general line.
Fast Pass was even more valuable at EPCOT where there are fewer attractions and longer standby wait times. Get your FastPass for Soarin' or Test Track as soon as you get to the Park, Soarin' actually ran out of FastPass slots by midafternoon. And check the FastPass to see when you can get the next one, sometimes it is before your current slot if the wait times are several hours.
Favorite thing: There are several unofficial websites devoted strictly to Disney Parks with tips on how to save money, how to beat the crowds, what rides to go on, advice on hotels, really any advice you could think to ask you will probably find on these websites and discussion boards. Here are three that I've found helpful:
All Ears Net
Favorite thing: If you're not so excited about watching the parades or fireworks, this is an optimal time to go on rides because so many of the visitors are lined up on Main Street, even staking out spots well in advance.
If you must eat at Disney, try going at slightly off times so you don't have to wait in too long of a line. We ate lunch around 3:00 and there was no wait at all.
Coca Cola products from around the world
Favorite thing: I'm not sure if we would have found this without our excellent EPCOT guide Patty (hexepatty) but if you go to the Club Cool at EPCOT near Innoventions West, there are free samples of different Coca Cola products from Mozambique, Costa Rica, Italy, Germany, Japan, Israel, Mexico and China, you can try as many as you like. I think I tried all but the Japanese Vegitabeta which sounded dreadful and Mexico which was out of order.
Club Cool isn't even listed in the EPCOT brochure, is this supposed to be a secret?
Favorite thing: Breakfast buffets/hearty breakfastsThe first couple of times we visited Orlando we discovered a really good breakfast buffet at Olive Garden (not sure if they still have it) where we ate heartily so we wouldn't have to eat too much mediocre overpriced food at Disney World. If you are staying in the Kissimmee area, I know I saw Shoney's, Perkins, Denny's, IHOP, all of which tend to have good food. Or check to see if your hotel has a breakfast buffet. Ours was included with our room, $6.99 otherwise, and it was pretty filling, we didn't need to eat until late afternoon.
Bring your own snacks Disney does not appear to have a "no outside food" policy, we saw people bringing in small coolers with snacks and drinks, you have to balance that off with having to lug it around the park all day, not a huge issue for people with strollers
More Reviews (16)
Dabs' Related Pages
Orlando Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"
- "orlando florida"
- "take it from a local..."
- ""When You Wish Upon a Star.....""
- "Orlando, Florida"
- "Disney and Universal Studios"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Orlando
- Hotels in Orlando
- Transportation in Orlando
- Nightlife in Orlando
- Restaurants in Orlando
- Shopping in Orlando
- Warnings and Dangers in Orlando
- See All...
Explore the World
- Manati Hotels
- Vanscoy Hotels
- Mont-Tremblant Hotels
- Kampung Teluk Senangin Hotels
- Ponta Delgada
- Seychelles Hotels
- Hanoi Hotels
- Arapsuyu Hotels
- Michigan City
- Abu Dhabi
Badges & Stats in Orlando
- 23 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 15 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Orlando?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Orlando
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: London research"
- Commented on one of Hexepatty's Orlando travel pages
- updated a Orlando Travel Page "A wonderful weekend with two wonderful friends"
- Wrote a Review Best Spots to watch about Theme Parks and Other Attractions in Orlando Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Magic Kingdom"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
Latest Orlando hotel reviews
- Disney Port Orleans Resort - Riverside
- 3687 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Springhill Suites By Marriott Lake Buena Vista In The Marriott Village
- 664 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Rosen Plaza
- 852 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Comfort Suites Orlando
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hampton Inn & Suites Orlando - John Young Pkwy / S Park
- 242 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Int'l Drive/Convention Center
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- The Point Orlando Resort
- 1897 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Grand Beach: A Sunterra Premier Resort Orlando
- 384 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Springhill Suites Orlando Convention Center / International Drive
- 323 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Parc Corniche Condominium Suite Hotel
- 281 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Extended Stay Deluxe Westwood Blvd Orlando
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Orlando-International Drive/Convention Center
- 1010 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Comfort Suites UCF/Research Park
- 65 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 13, 2013
- Buena Vista Suites
- 621 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Sea Word International Center
- 1243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 11, 2013
- Universal Studios- 119 Reviews, 138 Photos
- Walt Disney World- 155 Reviews, 202 Photos
- Sea World- 60 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Walt Disney World - Epcot- 132 Reviews, 201 Photos
- Kennedy Space Centre- 32 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom- 63 Reviews, 137 Photos
- Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom- 50 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Walt Disney World - MGM Studios- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Gatorland- 21 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Universal Studios - Islands of Adventure- 17 Reviews, 30 Photos
See All Orlando Things to Do