San Francisco Hotel Tips by Dabs
San Francisco Hotels: 111,559 reviews and 591 photos
Rates for Friday and Saturday night shot through the roof because of a couple of conventions and my attempts at bidding on Priceline were unsuccessful. I wanted to be close to Aquatic Park on Saturday night so that my husband could walk over there for his swim race Sunday morning so I booked the extremely overpriced Travelodge by the Bay for Friday-Sunday, $169 per night for Friday, Saturday and $89 for Sunday. Normally this would be a cheaper option but just not on the weekend we were there.
The problem with this motel, and probably most of the motels along Lombard Street, is that there is quite a bit of street noise as Lombard is part of Highway 101 which connects to the Golden Gate Bridge. So ask for a room towards the back if you stay here. The other problem is that the walls and roof aren't well insulated so when we had a freak thunderstorm you could hear the rain pouring down on the roof and regrettably also the loud conversation of the people next door in some language I didn't understand and the motorcycle dudes who took up residence outside on the patio listening to their boom box.
In the end I wish I had sprung for a more expensive hotel in Fisherman's Wharf which would have been almost as close to Aquatic Park and more appealing. I would only recommend this place if your budget is stretched really thin and you are not willing to try Priceline or Hotwire. For a budget hotel the quality of the room was fine, it was just all the extra noise that put me off plus the inconvenient location.
Unique Qualities: Room 216-the room was fine, it was clean, spacious and the bed reasonably comfortable. There was a coffeemaker and a small TV.
Bathroom-shower only, toiletries were soap and shampoo. The water pressure and temperature were good, the towels were adequate. There was a hair dryer on the wall.
There was good bus service in the area, several bus routes stopped along Van Ness or Chestnut within a couple of blocks of the hotel. To get to the BART station for the trip back to SFO we had to take a bus to get to the Civic Center station so it wasn't quite as easy as our hotel in Union Square.
Address: 1450 Lombard Street, Van Ness & Franklin, San Francisco, California, 94123, United States
Comparison: less expensive than average
Hilton king accessible room
I found a great deal on the Hilton San Francisco for our 1st two nights by checking on the deals at Travelzoo which I booked through Orbitz for $74 per night after using a 15% discount coupon code that I found by googling Orbitz discount codes plus a $50 restaurant.com certificate to boot. This is a huge 1,908 room business oriented hotel, with one tower having 46 floors, many of the rooms have great views, ours did not but I wouldn't expect it paying $74 per night.
Check in was quick since it was already 8pm, checkout even quicker since the room was prepaid and we had no charges, just dropped the key in the box.
People told me that the area around the hotel, especially to the west in the Tenderloin, was a little seedy but we never felt uncomfortable walking around the immediate area or from the BART station. Yes, we did see quite a few pan handlers but none of them were threatening and you will see them all over San Francisco. Lots of restaurants in the immediate area and upscale shopping nearby. I didn't love the location, it seems like we always needed to be in a different part of the city than Union Square so it wasn't particularly convenient for us except for the trip from the airport and the ease of finding public transport including cable cars and the F line.
The Powell Street BART station is an easy 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.
Unique Qualities: Room-we got a king room which turned out to be an handicap accessible room (3-953) on the 9th floor in Tower 3. The room was extremely large, as was the bathroom presumably because it needed to be wheelchair accessible. Bed was very comfortable. The room had a business desk with internet access (fee), coffeemaker, minibar, safe, ironing board, TV with HBO.
Bathroom-water pressure was a little weak, toiletries included La Source Crabtree and Evelyn shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soap (no bath gel), nice big towels, hair dryer.
There is a outdoor pool and jacuzzi on the 16th floor, the water was heated. The health club is an extra charge, who needs to use that when they are climbing the steep hills of San Francisco anyway? Breakfast was not included in our rate.
Address: 333 O'Farrell St, San Francisco, California, 94102, United States
Comparison: about average
More Reviews (45)
- See All Don't call it Frisco
- See All Ocean Beach
- Westin St. Francis Hotel
- See All Books and movies
- See All Pizza by the slice-Haight Ashbury
Dabs' Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Trinity Links Resort and Apartments
- Tropical Palms Resort
- Airport Regency Hotel
- The Blackstone Hotel
- Buffalo Bill Cabin Village
- Holiday Inn Atlantic City Boardwalk
- Silken Al Andalus Palace Hotel
- Comfort Inn-by Journey's End
- Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
- Tickle Pink Inn - Carmel
- Hilton Garden Inn New York West 35th
- Liberty Inn
- Sainte Anne Resort & Spa
- Hotel Munchner Kindl
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 47 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 63 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (97)
Read real reviews about San Francisco Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Great Highway Inn
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 3, 2013
- Abigail Hotel
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 1, 2013
- JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square
- 803 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Herbert Hotel
- 247 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Hotel North Beach
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 18, 2013
- Roberts-At-The-Beach Motel
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Bayside Inn at the Wharf
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Hotel Palomar - A Kimpton Hotel
- 1053 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 10, 2013
- Marriott San Francisco Fishermans Wharf
- 586 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 9, 2013
- Villa Florence - A Kimpton Hotel
- 789 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Renaissance Stanford Court
- 993 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 7, 2013
- The Mosser Hotel
- 1147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Hotel Nikko San Francisco
- 1376 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Columbus Motor Inn
- 651 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hostelling International- San Francisco/ Downtown
- 256 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Lombard Street- 131 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Chinatown- 177 Reviews, 308 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 248 Reviews, 395 Photos
- Alcatraz- 290 Reviews, 484 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Coit Tower- 133 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 118 Reviews, 244 Photos
- Twin Peaks- 34 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do