VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

Los Angeles Restaurant Tips by Dabs Top 5 Page for this destination

Los Angeles Restaurants: 923 reviews and 1,039 photos

Pastichio - Los Angeles

Pastichio

The Great Greek: Fun Greek restaurant

The Great Greek is a fun Greek restaurant with live music and dancing waiters, every so often the waiters would form a line and start doing a Greek dance, I'm sure after a few drinks some of the patrons try to join in but not while we were there. We ate here on Friday night around 8pm, the restaurant was busy but no waiting. We were able to find metered street parking just up the street.

Favorite Dish: We started off with the saganaki ($8.75), the flaming cheese dish that was popularized by a Chicago Greek restaurant in the 1960s. For my entree I ordered the pastitsio ($13.95), a Greek lasagna. Both were very good.

Address: 13362 Ventura Blvd., Sherman Oaks

Phone: 818-905-5250

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.greatgreek.com/

Carne Asada - Los Angeles

Carne Asada

Casa La Golondrina: Mexican on Olvera Street Casa La Golondrina Review

Normally I eat Mexican food from stands at home and on Olvera Street but when I asked at the tourist desk at Union Station the man suggested La Golondrina which is a sit down restaurant. As I was dining by myself, they asked if I minded sitting on the bar which was fine. Had I been with someone, I would have preferred to sit outside on the patio. It's a very popular place, I arrived just before noon on a weekday and by the time I left it was packed.

Favorite Dish: The food is a little expensive compared to the rest of Olvera Street which is mostly little divey places but my meal was very good. I ordered the carne asada, prepared medium rare, which comes with fresh tortillas, guacamole and pico de gallo ($18).

Address: 17 Olvera Street

Price Comparison: about average

Directions: Near Cesar Chavez and Alameda Streets, about 1/2 way in the middle of Olvera Street

Phone: (213) 628-4349

Price: US$21-30

Theme: Mexican

You call that a sandwich? - Los Angeles

You call that a sandwich?

Musso & Frank Grill: Old time Hollywood Frank & Musso Grill Review

To be fair, I was warned by my dining companion that people do NOT go to Musso & Frank for the food. But at the prices they charge I was left wondering why, oh why, couldn't they hire a chef that could make decent food. I'm not asking for great food, I'm not asking for good value for the money, just something that didn't leave me feeling fleeced.

The 5* service balances out the 2* food, our red coat clad waiter was excellent and couldn't have been nicer, I'm guessing that most of them have been serving here for a decade or two. The ambiance is wonderful, old time Hollywood, like the wait staff, the decor doesn't appear to have been changed for decades. During the week at lunchtime there was hardly anyone in the restaurant, in fact our 1st server came up mid lunch and said they were sending him home for lack of business. Maybe on the weekend or for dinner the food might be better but I'm certainly not going to risk another bad meal.

Favorite Dish: Not wanting to drop $$$ for a mediocre steak or other big ticket item, I ordered a reuben sandwich, $17 at lunchtime. The sandwich arrives with the thinnest layer of meat I've ever seen on a sandwich, this is no Carnegie Deli (NYC) sandwich or Manny's (Chicago) which you couldn't even contemplate finishing. I finally took 1/2 the bread off and doubled up the meat, still not enough. Tiny soft drinks without refills are $3.50! From other reviews it seems that they are known for some dishes such as fettucine alfredo and they are reported to have the best martini in LA.

Address: 6667 Hollywood Boulevard

Price Comparison: more expensive than average

Phone: (323) 467-7788

Price: US$21-30

Rating: 3

Website: http://www.mussoandfrank.com/

Gumbo Pot: Don't bother stopping here

I've eaten at Gumbo Pot at the Farmer's Market and had decent meals, although never great, so I decided to get a sandwich at the Hollywood and Highland location before getting a crepe across the way at French Crepe Company. The 2nd location at Hollywood & Highland is not listed on their website but as of November 2012 it was there.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the shrimp po'boy sandwich ($8.99), I wish I had read through the reviews on Yelp before stopping here. Lots and lots of bread, not very much filling. I left at least 1/2 the bread on my plate and made the best of it by piling the filling on half the bread, the shrimp was pretty good but either charge a bit more for the sandwich or cut down the bread because it was pretty ridiculous. Oh yeah, and lemon with the rind still on placed inside the sandwich? What's up with that?

Address: 6801 Hollywood, 4th floor

• Written Nov 7, 2012
La Sorbonne - Los Angeles

La Sorbonne

French Crepe Company: Yummy crepes The French Crepe Company Review

I've stopped by the French Crepe Company in the Farmer's Market a couple of times and was pleasantly surprised to find another location at a mall at Hollywood & Highland. There are several outside terrace tables and waiter service

Favorite Dish: I think I've only ordered their sweet crepes, some day I will have to try a savory crepe but I'm always afraid I'll be so full that I can't order a dessert crepe. On this visit I ordered La Sorbonne, a banana and nutella crepe ($7.80). It's listed on the menu as Hershey's syrup but they will substitute nutella. They brought me some whipped cream and powdered sugar that I could add as needed. It's a little pricey for what you get but you are in Hollywood

Address: 6801 Hollywood Blvd. #403

• Written Nov 7, 2012
Grand Central Market - Los Angeles

Grand Central Market

Grand Central Market: Cheap eats in downtown LA Grand Central Market Review

The Grand Central Market in downtown LA has a variety of international options for a quick snack or a full lunch. It's certainly not a fancy place to have lunch, some of the restaurants have counters, some don't even have that. Options include Chinese, Mexican, Thai, El Salvadoran, Argentinian, pizza, Japanese and seafood.

Favorite Dish: The offerings change from one visit to the next, on my most recent visit in November 2012 I had already had lunch but I couldn't resist trying a queso pupusas, a thick corn tortilla stuffed with cheese from Sarita's Pupuseria ($2.55), an El Salvardoran restaurant in the middle of the Grand Central Market. It was pretty tasty.

Address: 317 S. Broadway

Directions: downtown LA on Broadway between 3rd and 4th

Theme: Other

Website: http://www.grandcentralsquare.com/

• Updated Nov 7, 2012
Clifton's - Los Angeles

Clifton's

Clifton's Cafeteria: Downtown LA-kitschy cafeteria Clifton's Cafeteria Review

When I visited LA in November 2012 Clifton's was closed and under renovation. Check their website for updates

Clifton's Cafeteria has been operating in downtown Los Angeles since 1935, it was the 2nd restaurant that Clifford Clinton opened (CLIF from his first name and TON from his last), his 1st restaurant Clifton's Pacific Seas closed in 1960 and from the pictures I've seen appears to be even more kitschy than the remaining cafeteria and it's forest decor complete with faux evergreen trees, mooseheads and stuffed critters. Pacific Seas was opened during the Great Depression and Clifton's Cafeteria just after the depression, the owner's policy was to never turn anyone away even if they didn't have any money. Clifton's website has a nice history of the restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The food here is pretty standard cafeteria fare, you go through the line with your plastic tray and pick out what grabs you. I had roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy and a piece of strawberry pie for dessert. The roast beef looked just like my mom used to make for Sunday dinner, unfortunately it wasn't quite as good. If it's great food you are after, then I'd say give Clifton's a miss. But if you are looking for a historic kitschy atmosphere and a cheap meal, give Clifton's a shot!

Address: 648 South Broadway, Los Angeles, California 90014

In-N-Out - Los Angeles

In-N-Out

In-n-Out Burger: A California Institution In-n-Out Burger Review

Last visit November, 2012

Californians are passionate about their In-N-Out Burger's, the drive thru is always stacked with cars, there is always a line inside with people waiting patiently for their orders. I usually find myself at In-N-Out at least once when I'm in So Cal and this trip was no exception, there was one just up the street from my hotel in Oxanrd.

Favorite Dish: Not the best hamburger I've ever had but it sure beats the burger chains we have in the Midwest except for Culver's which has really good butter burgers. I usually do the double double, it comes with cheese, lettuce, tomato, onions and a special sauce and of course two beef patties but this time I got the single because they started putting the calorie count on the menu-yikes! Fries are hand cut and a fairly substantial portion, I saw some people getting their fries animal style and they looked really yummy. The chocolate milkshakes, made with real ice cream, are also really good.

The menu is very simple, you can get a double-double, a cheeseburger or a hamburger, fries, milkshakes and soft drinks. That's it. Well, except for the not so secret, secret menu And according to this website, employees will alter the standard menu in lots of different ways. Damn, I wish I had known about fries served animal style, those look pretty tasty!!!

Address: Several Locations

Website: http://www.in-n-out.com/

• Updated Nov 6, 2012
Buggy Whip: LAX-Step back in time

Courtney presented me with two options for dinner, one modern and one a classic, I'll go for the classic every time! I had never heard of the Buggy Whip and yet it was so close to where I've stayed for the last 10 or so times I've been to LA.

You walk into the Buggy Whip and it's like stepping back in time several decades. The waitresses call you honey and sugar, they fret if you don't appear to like your meal or your choice of beverage.

Favorite Dish: The house speciality is usually a house speciality for a reason so I ordered the gentlemen's cut of roast beef (prime rib) accompanied by a side of galric mashed potatoes. You get a choice of soup or salad, I opted for the salad when I learned that I could order it with green goddess dressing.

Price Comparison: about average

Price: US$31-40

Rating: 5

Theme: Steakhouse

• Written Dec 16, 2010
Randy's Donuts - Los Angeles

Randy's Donuts

Randy's: The giant donut Randy's Review

During our 2005 visit we drove by the giant Randy's donut every day from our hotel to Grandma's apartment and I kept saying, I really have to stop there and get a donut just because of the huge donut. But the end of the week came and I just didn't have a chance to stop in. So after I came home, I was in a bookstore and glanced over at the travel rack and what do I see on the cover of one of the LA guide books? The giant Randy's donut!

So when we came back in 2006, I pulled in one morning when I wanted a quick breakfast and grabbed two donuts, one buttermilk and a bear claw. The buttermilk was dry and perhaps a bit stale but the bear claw was pretty yummy! I don't know that the donuts are worth going out of your way, not like those strawberry donuts from Donut Man in Glendora, for but if you're at the intersection of 405 and Manchester, you might pull in for a donut, you don't even need to get out of the car because there is a drive through!

In 2008, we gave Randy's another shot as we were late for church and needed to eat something and the giant donut was beckoning us. The apple fritter was really yummy and this time they got the buttermilk donut right. I may have to make this a semi annual stop since it's so close!

Address: 805 W. Manchester

Price Comparison: least expensive

Directions: Actually in Inglewood, not too far from the airport. From the Radisson LAX, we took Aviation Blvd. to Manchester and turned right

Theme: Bakery

Website: http://www.randysdonuts.com/

• Updated Oct 29, 2008

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Los Angeles

Have you been to Los Angeles?

Latest Activity in Los Angeles