"Los Angeles" Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles by Dabs
Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,591 reviews and 9,470 photos
I've been to Los Angeles quite a few times over the years, I was born in nearby Inglewood and lived there until the tender age of 3, returned when I was in grade school, again in junior high when I made my poor grandfather go to Disneyland AND ride Space Mountain, everyone was jealous of my spiffy orange QT tan when I got back to cold Chicago and once for a half day when we flew in to watch a Bears Game. By my count, I've been there another 12 times since graduating from college to visit friends like Kat (keida84), take my nieces to Disneyland, hang out with my husband but mainly to visit my Grandma who lived in nearby Inglewood and celebrated her 102nd birthday before passing in November 2010. My last trip in Oct/Nov 2012 was to visit friends and see how LA does Halloween.
I cursed at my parents when I was younger, what were they thinking, moving us from the warm beaches of California to the brutally cold winters and dripping hot humid summers in Chicago? I dreamed of moving back and even dreamt up a scheme to establish residency and attend college there but fate stepped in, I ended up at Indiana University where I met my husband.
A recent article said that Los Angeles, the second largest city in the United States, was the second most visited city by foreign visitors behind the US's largest city, New York.
Of the major cities in the US, I find Los Angeles to be the least tourist friendly, attractions are very spread out and public transportation options are limited so most people find that they need to rent a car which unfortunately means you will get stuck in a traffic jam (or 2 or 3....) if you take any of the freeways.
And I think the Los Angeles that draws all those visitors is a bit of a myth, Hollywood is not the glamorous place that existed in Hollywood's heyday with movie stars spilling out of limousines in their expensive furs and jewels at movie premieres, celebrity close encounters are much rarer than you'd think and I've yet to encounter anyone who looks like Pamela Anderson jogging in slow motion down any of the beaches.
But then again, I'm not really looking for any of that...
Over the course of my last few visits, I've been digging a little deeper into Los Angeles and spending more time in the core of Los Angeles rather than the tourist attractions that draw most visitors here. Downtown LA is not for everyone, although revitalizing, parts of it are rough around the edges. But if you do have some interest about Los Angeles' past and some of the architectural gems that have survived, I'd highly recommend taking a tour with the folks from the LA Conservancy
And if you find yourself with several days in the Los Angeles area, make sure that in addition to seeing Hollywood and checking out the premier tourist attractions of Disneyland and Universal Studios that you include a drive along the coast and stop by some of the special little towns along the coastline. I finally did that in October 2006 stopping by Cambria, Solvang, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obisbo and San Simeon and it was probably the most enjoyable trip I've had to Los Angeles area.
- Pros:There's a lot to see in the area surrounding LA
- Cons:Traffic, smog, attractions are spread out
- In a nutshell:Delve a little deeper and you'll find some gems!
The Great Greek is a fun Greek restaurant with live music and dancing waiters, every so often the waiters would form a... more travel advice
To be fair, I was warned by my dining companion that people do NOT go to Musso & Frank for the food. But at the prices... more travel advice
- See All Macarons!
- See All LA Conservancy-Art Deco tour
- See All Step back in time
- See All Metro
- See All Another Priceline bid at LAX
Dabs' Related Pages
Los Angeles Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles""
- "Getting at the Heart of L.A."
- "Coming to LA, see what all of SoCal has to offer!"
- "Los Angeles"
- "My Hometown: Los Angeles"
- "Gloss Angeles"
- "City of the Angels"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Los Angeles
- Hotels in Los Angeles
- Transportation in Los Angeles
- Nightlife in Los Angeles
- Restaurants in Los Angeles
- Shopping in Los Angeles
- Warnings and Dangers in Los Angeles
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Los Angeles
- 87 Reviews
- 185 Photos
- 134 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Los Angeles?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Los Angeles
Photos in Los AngelesSee All Photos (185)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 608 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 271 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues