"Los Angeles" Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles by Dabs

Los Angeles Travel Guide: 4,411 reviews and 8,884 photos

I've been to Los Angeles quite a few times over the years, I was born in nearby Inglewood and lived there until the tender age of 3, returned when I was in grade school, again in junior high when I made my poor grandfather go to Disneyland AND ride Space Mountain, everyone was jealous of my spiffy orange QT tan when I got back to cold Chicago and once for a half day when we flew in to watch a Bears Game. By my count, I've been there another 12 times since graduating from college to visit friends like Kat (keida84), take my nieces to Disneyland, hang out with my husband but mainly to visit my Grandma who lived in nearby Inglewood and celebrated her 102nd birthday before passing in November 2010. My last trip in Oct/Nov 2012 was to visit friends and see how LA does Halloween.

I cursed at my parents when I was younger, what were they thinking, moving us from the warm beaches of California to the brutally cold winters and dripping hot humid summers in Chicago? I dreamed of moving back and even dreamt up a scheme to establish residency and attend college there but fate stepped in, I ended up at Indiana University where I met my husband.

The 2nd most visited place in the US?

A recent article said that Los Angeles, the second largest city in the United States, was the second most visited city by foreign visitors behind the US's largest city, New York.

Of the major cities in the US, I find Los Angeles to be the least tourist friendly, attractions are very spread out and public transportation options are limited so most people find that they need to rent a car which unfortunately means you will get stuck in a traffic jam (or 2 or 3....) if you take any of the freeways.

And I think the Los Angeles that draws all those visitors is a bit of a myth, Hollywood is not the glamorous place that existed in Hollywood's heyday with movie stars spilling out of limousines in their expensive furs and jewels at movie premieres, celebrity close encounters are much rarer than you'd think and I've yet to encounter anyone who looks like Pamela Anderson jogging in slow motion down any of the beaches.

But then again, I'm not really looking for any of that...

My take on LA

Over the course of my last few visits, I've been digging a little deeper into Los Angeles and spending more time in the core of Los Angeles rather than the tourist attractions that draw most visitors here. Downtown LA is not for everyone, although revitalizing, parts of it are rough around the edges. But if you do have some interest about Los Angeles' past and some of the architectural gems that have survived, I'd highly recommend taking a tour with the folks from the LA Conservancy

And if you find yourself with several days in the Los Angeles area, make sure that in addition to seeing Hollywood and checking out the premier tourist attractions of Disneyland and Universal Studios that you include a drive along the coast and stop by some of the special little towns along the coastline. I finally did that in October 2006 stopping by Cambria, Solvang, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obisbo and San Simeon and it was probably the most enjoyable trip I've had to Los Angeles area.

• Pros:There's a lot to see in the area surrounding LA
  • Cons:Traffic, smog, attractions are spread out
  • In a nutshell:Delve a little deeper and you'll find some gems!
  • Last visit to Los Angeles: Nov 2012
  • Intro Updated Nov 25, 2012

• Mr.Sparkle's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2011 at 6:27 AM

cool off the beaten path tips. thanks ;)

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Are you absolutely *sure* you don't want additional footage of NaOnka bobbing her head around and waving her finger? What about greasy-haired Jimmy T telling you for the hundredth time that he's a born leader and nobody recognizes his genius? :(

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Enjoyed reading your updates: the Hotel Bel-Air sounds like a charming place for tea!!!

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2008 at 8:32 AM

yes I believe you can go into lobbies not quite the old architecture we have here but its going to be different

• Hopkid's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Have a great trip to LA! Double-double with grilled onions!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2007 at 3:49 PM

We had a tad of rain fall today, just enough to turn the ash to wet ash, speaking of ash...hows the kitchen coming along? Counter tops in? Dishwasher hooked up? Email down cannot read your latest but soon when the glitch is fixed. xxoo

• spgood301's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Hooky sounds like my day, every day these days Kris! Enjoy yourself!!!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2007 at 2:28 PM

I don't have the balls to leave that PPP up too long... sigh. But I wasn't too happy at him lurking!

• jennwerner's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Hey. I am loving your LA tips. Thanks for posting all this useful info hubby and I will be in LA in July. Jenn

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Dec 24, 2006 at 11:07 AM

Raw sexuality he has! Oozes it!!! (hubba hubba) Got to go check my gammon, then have some wine and backgammon with my own scrumptious hunk ;) Enjoy your Christmas my friend x

Dabs Used To Live Here!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Los Angeles

Have you been to Los Angeles?

Latest Activity in Los Angeles