""The Jewel" of San Diego" La Jolla by Dabs
La Jolla Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 791 photos
My 1st trip to La Jolla was in April 2008, I only had a couple of days to spend in the area around San Diego but I was encouraged to make sure to stop by La Jolla by a couple of my VT friends. On my 1st day in San Diego, I hopped into my rental car and followed the part of the 59 mile scenic drive in San Diego from Old Town up to La Jolla, passing through Ocean Beach, Mission Bay and several other towns before reaching my destination.
I love seeing wildlife in it's natural environment so visiting the Children's Pool which has been taken over by a herd of harbor seals was the highlight of my trip.
La Jolla means "The Jewel" in Spanish, it's technically a neighborhood of San Diego but it seems like it's own city, distinct and apart from the rest of San Diego. There's a lot of money here and it's home (or a second home) for the a lot of very wealthy people but the coastline, at least the part I saw, has open access to the public and is not private beaches for the wealthy.
My 2nd trip to La Jolla was in October 2008 when we added a couple of days to our Los Angeles trip so that my husband could see San Diego. We stopped by La Jolla so he could see the seals at the Children's Pool and for a lovely walk along the coast where we saw lots of pelicans and comorants.
A little north of the Children's Pool, there was a rocky area that seemed to be home to quite a few pelicans, I believe... more travel advice
Heading north from the Children's Pool, there is a nice walking path that runs along the ocean to La Jolla Cove with... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
La Jolla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Jolla---The Jewel Of San Diego!"
- "~La Jolla~"
- "The Brilliance of La Jolla"
- "La Jolla, the best place of San Diego"
- "Una Joya"
- ""The Jewel" of San Diego"
- "La Jolla...California Dreaming"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Jolla
- Hotels in La Jolla
- Transportation in La Jolla
- Nightlife in La Jolla
- Restaurants in La Jolla
- Shopping in La Jolla
- Warnings and Dangers in La Jolla
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Jolla
- 9 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to La Jolla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Jolla
Photos in La JollaSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues