""The Jewel" of San Diego" Top 5 Page for this destination La Jolla by Dabs

La Jolla Travel Guide: 275 reviews and 755 photos

My 1st trip to La Jolla was in April 2008, I only had a couple of days to spend in the area around San Diego but I was encouraged to make sure to stop by La Jolla by a couple of my VT friends. On my 1st day in San Diego, I hopped into my rental car and followed the part of the 59 mile scenic drive in San Diego from Old Town up to La Jolla, passing through Ocean Beach, Mission Bay and several other towns before reaching my destination.

I love seeing wildlife in it's natural environment so visiting the Children's Pool which has been taken over by a herd of harbor seals was the highlight of my trip.

La Jolla means "The Jewel" in Spanish, it's technically a neighborhood of San Diego but it seems like it's own city, distinct and apart from the rest of San Diego. There's a lot of money here and it's home (or a second home) for the a lot of very wealthy people but the coastline, at least the part I saw, has open access to the public and is not private beaches for the wealthy.

My 2nd trip to La Jolla was in October 2008 when we added a couple of days to our Los Angeles trip so that my husband could see San Diego. We stopped by La Jolla so he could see the seals at the Children's Pool and for a lovely walk along the coast where we saw lots of pelicans and comorants.

• Last visit to La Jolla: Oct 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 19, 2008

Comments

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in La Jolla

Have you been to La Jolla?

Latest Activity in La Jolla