"Escape from Chicago's winter to Aruba" Top 5 Page for this destination Aruba by Dabs
Aruba Travel Guide: 950 reviews and 2,428 photos
Our first visit to Aruba was in December 2007, we were looking for some place different to go so when the winds started howling in Chicago and the snow started piling up on the street, we plotted our escape to a tropical paradise. We usually head to the Riviera Maya in Mexico but in 2007 several people we knew were either headed to Aruba or just back from Aruba so I thought we would try something different.
Our second visit to Aruba was a stop on a cruise ship in January 2010. We had already seen most of the sights in Aruba so this was our chill out day and we went to the beach instead of trying to do a tour.
Aruba boasts the highest the highest rate of repeat visitors of all the Caribbean destinations, we met people who were on their 2nd, 3rd and sometimes 8th or 9th trip. 70% of the visitors are American, most of which seemed to be from the east coast, I could hear the New Jersey, New York and Boston accents everywhere we went. We also met quite a few visitors from the Netherlands and from the nearby countries in South America.
What do they all come back for? The beautiful turquoise blue Caribbean sea that is the temperature of bath water, feeling the soft white sands of Palm Beach and Eagle Beaches under your toes, it doesn't burn your feet, nor are there shells to cut your feet. Plentiful options for good to great dining, lots of casinos, relatively low crime rate, I never felt hesitant to walk around even at night.
Aruba is also touted as having near perfect weather and being outside of the hurricane belt. While this isn't entirely true, the chances of having your vacation ruined by weather is slimmer than other Caribbean destinations. Most of the rain falls between October and January.
Even Aruba has it's flaws, if you are looking to park yourself on a beach or at a resort for a week, then Aruba might be your place. If you're like me and want to explore, you'll run out of things to see pretty quick.
Then there's the distance, although Aruba is still considered part of the Caribbean, it is one of the furthest from the US. I can get to Mexico in 3 1/2 hours, Jamaica in 4 hours, leave Chicago early in the morning and I'm on the beach by the afternoon. Leave Chicago in the early morning for Aruba, get in late at night, only one direct flight a week so like many, we were laid over in Miami.
And then there's the cost, you can find mediocre food fairly cheap in Aruba but you want a good meal, you will pay for it and there's not a lot of variety in the well reviewed restaurants, they all tend to be steak or seafood or Caribbean. The cost per person in Aruba for flights and lodging is also quite a bit higher, at least coming from Chicago.
- Pros:Beautiful white sand beaches and turquoise blue water
- Cons:Expensive compared to other Caribbean destinations, too far from Chicago
Our tour didn't stop here but our guide gave us a little history as we were driving by, he said it wasn't really safe to... more travel advice
Aruba has an arid climate most of the year, you'll see a lot of catcus once you get away from the beach and not a lot of... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Aruba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Escape from Chicago's winter to Aruba"
- "Things That Make You Go.....WOW!!!"
- "Aaaaawesome Arrrruuuuba!!!!"
- "Thanksgiving in Aruba"
- "Amapola Goes to Aruba"
- "Arid and Friendly"
- "ARUBA - CARRIBEAN PEARL"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aruba
- Hotels in Aruba
- Transportation in Aruba
- Nightlife in Aruba
- Restaurants in Aruba
- Shopping in Aruba
- Warnings and Dangers in Aruba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aruba
- 38 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Aruba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aruba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 262 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues