"How could I not go to the city of cheese?" Top 5 Page for this destination Gruyères by Dabs

Gruyères Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 357 photos

On our 2nd full day of vacation, we headed first to Fribourg to visit the city and then drove south towards Geneva, passing through Bulle before getting to Gruyeres. After Gruyeres we headed south to Montreux to see the Chateau de Chillon and a brief stop in Montreux before heading to Geneva for the night.

I just couldn't pass up a visit to Gruyeres, after all it is the home to one of my favorite cheeses since traditional cheese fondue usually includes Gruyeres cheese. We stopped first at La Maison du Gruyere (House of Gruyere) in Pringy and then headed to Gruyeres to have lunch and visit the Chateau du Gruyeres.

This was one of my favorite stops on the trip, it combined a really good meal, a charming medieval car free village and even an educational component as I learned a bit about cheese making.

• Pros:Fondue, raclette, double cream and meringue
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:A highlight of Switzerland for the food lover
  • Last visit to Gruyères: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Lovely little page about Gruyere here. We were there today on a day trip. The price for the cheese fondue is still 23 CHF. ;-)

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 2:23 AM

Excellent food tip! :)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2010 at 12:15 AM

Isn't it frustrating not being able to buy cheese in Switzerland? I love the sound of those meringues however. Enjoyed your page Kristi.

• abc37's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 4:51 AM

great page !

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Chateau de Gruyeres by your photos, is beautiful inside and out, and so lucky to be able to take photos inside. A nice tour around a pretty little village, and I thought nice to be car free!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Gruyeres looked quite pleasant and I would have loved to tour the cheese factory. A castle or two would have been delightful, as well. PS Our cats loved cheese!!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2009 at 5:27 AM

The kitty looks like a French version of my Gizmo and yes indeed he does look full and quite content. Love the Castle with its wonderful gardens.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2008 at 2:39 AM

I can see why you liked Gruyères so much! The beautiful Chateau de Gruyères combined with a tour of the cheese-making facilities and a delicious meal looks hard to beat. I love wandering in quaint places like this myself, even if it has a few 'Aliens'!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Gee, you are inspiring me to go to France (that has never been a destination of interest) This is the "cheesiest" page I have ever read. ;-))

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2007 at 6:48 AM

Lucky cat of Gruyere!Glad you got there - and such a nice time of year - tho Switz is great any time of year hey - thanks for a look at your visit.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Gruyères

Have you been to Gruyères?

Latest Activity in Gruyères