"Ljubljana, another well kept secret" Ljubljana by Dabs
Ljubljana Travel Guide: 2,096 reviews and 4,977 photos
I'm not sure why Slovenia and it's capital city of Ljubljana are not more frequently visited, perhaps tourism picks up in the summer months and we were lucky enough to see it before the hordes descend. Or maybe it's because no one knows how to pronounce it!
Ljubljana is a compact capital city, the population is around 276,000, one fifth of which are students. Everything is within walking distance, you can walk from the train or bus station to your hotel and from your hotel to any of the sights.
Slovenia was once part of Yugoslavia, it declared it's independence on June 26, 1991, had a minor 10 day war and avoided the problems of the other countries that formed Yugoslavia. Slovenia is now part of the EU, English is widely spoken and it's incredibly easy to get around and communicate.
We had 1 1/2 days to spend here, we saw everything that we wanted to see in that time, add another 1/2 day if you plan on seeing any of the museums. Ljubljana might also make a nice base if you want to do day trips to the Lake Bled/Lake Bohinj area or out to see the caves at Postjna or Skocjan but not have the hassle of moving from hotel to hotel, everything in Slovenia seems to be an easy day's drive.
- Pros:Uncrowded, lovely old town, good food
- Cons:Mid range hotel choices are a bit limited
The Urbanc House, built in 1903, is an art nouveau gem on Preseren Square. On the exterior take a look for the clamshell... more travel advice
St. Nicholas Cathedral is the largest church in Ljubljana, you can see the dome and bell towers from all over town. It's... more travel advice
- Packing list
- Tourism information center
- See All Tourist train/funicular to Castle Hill
- See All Trnovo
Dabs' Related Pages
Ljubljana Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ljubljana - Relaxing capital city"
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Easygoing Capital"
- "Ljubljana and its surroundings"
- "Ljubljana, another well kept secret"
- "Ljubljana - more european than you can imagine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ljubljana
- Hotels in Ljubljana
- Transportation in Ljubljana
- Nightlife in Ljubljana
- Restaurants in Ljubljana
- Shopping in Ljubljana
- Warnings and Dangers in Ljubljana
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ljubljana
- 37 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (162)
Have you been to Ljubljana?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ljubljana
Photos in LjubljanaSee All Photos (131)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 416 reviews, 611 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 112 reviews, 196 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 44 reviews, 125 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues