"Posotjna Caves" Top 5 Page for this destination Postojna by Dabs

Postojna Travel Guide: 140 reviews and 422 photos

Postojna is the Disneyesque version of the caves in Slovenia and the #1 tourist attraction in Slovenia, lots of tourists, an amusement park style train ride to descend into the caves, places to shop and eat and even a hotel. If you are also planning on visiting Skocjan Caves, I would visit this one first, Postojna impressed me but Skocjan blew me away. If you only have the chance to visit one cave, my recommendation is for Skocjan, not only is it less crowded but there's more of a WOW factor.

It was a very easy daytrip by car from Ljubljana for us, even with a later start than we anticipated we caught the 11:00 tour here, we went onto Predjama Castle, Skocjan Cave for the 3:30pm tour and then onto Piran, a very full day and only possible with a car. If you just want to see Postonja Caves, there are buses and trains from Ljubljana listed in our guide book.

Photographs are not allowed on the tour of the Cave but I managed to get a few poor quality photos as the train was whizzing us through to where the tour started.

• Pros:Interesting formations
  • Cons:Too many tourists, unenthusiastic guide
  • Last visit to Postojna: May 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2008

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2010 at 2:21 PM

A pity they didn't allow photo's on the train, surely that wouldn't hurt. Nice, informative page.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2008 at 9:37 AM

Annoying that they don't allow taking pictures even without flash. The entrance fee seems to be rather steep.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2007 at 9:31 AM

It's a shame that most places like this have to end up "Disneyfied". I agree you have to have a good imagination for some cave formations!!!!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 11:50 PM

A cave, a castle, and a Proteus Anguinus - it doesn't get better than this! ; )

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 7, 2007 at 6:32 AM

Altogether, this sounds like quite an interesting place to spend a few hours! Great photo of the unique 'castle in a cave' and intriguing info on that weird Proteus Anguinus too!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 9:38 AM

Also, superb caves! Thanks Kristi :)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 2:55 PM

The caves were awesome, Kristi! I can only imagine how much my grandkids would LOVE them!!!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2007 at 10:38 AM

Actually I like Caves. We visited a real cool one in southern Spain in the town Of Nerja. The 'human fish" sounds interesting.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2007 at 5:06 AM

I would laugh if the headlines the next day were Slovenia's only Proteus Anguninus dies from flash of American woman's camera!! he he

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2007 at 10:16 AM

Another stellar group of tips, Kristi. That creature is so strange and its ability to survive is really something. Can't believe you did all of this in one day.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Postojna

Have you been to Postojna?

Latest Activity in Postojna