"The spice island" Top 5 Page for this destination Grenada by Dabs

Grenada Travel Guide: 376 reviews and 1,045 photos

Grenada, known as the spice island as they process more spices per square mile than any place in the world, is an independent three island nation in the Caribbean, Carriacou and Petite Martinique are the other two islands. Before coming here, my only knowledge of Grenada was regarding the US invasion in 1983, a subject our tour guide didn't touch on until we asked him about it.

It was the 3rd stop on our Southern Caribbean cruise and we prearranged a tour with A&E Tours instead of going with one of the ship's tours. Our tour included stops at Annandale Falls, Seven Sisters Falls, a rum distillery and a spice store. Seven Sisters was the highlight and we enjoyed learning a bit about the spice industry on Grenada at the spice store. Annandale Falls was pretty but not an essential stop and I would pass on the rum distillery as it was really only a stop to buy alcohol.

I had thought that Grenada would be a lot like Dominica and in some respects it was-lush and green. We visited Grenada on the day after we stopped on Dominica and we both liked Grenada a lot more than Dominica, maybe it was because we picked a better guide, maybe because we went a little off the beaten path, maybe because there were less ships in port and the tour stops weren't as crowded.

Whatever the reason, someday I'd like to go back and explore the rest of the island, it seems that there is a lot more to see than you can cram into one day on the island from a cruise ship.

• Last visit to Grenada: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Feb 28, 2010

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 8:12 AM

Hi, Kristi! Thanks for your interesting story about Grenada! ><><><><

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Fabulous little page about this lovely island. I especially like your little history overview as I didn't know much about Grenada. See you soon in Krakow.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Grenada looks like an interesting island. Thanks for the info.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Your vacation sounds wonderful--we're always on the lookout for ideas. The views from Ft. George are very pretty! I had no idea that 1/3 of the nutmeg in the world comes from this area--amazing.

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Grenada

Have you been to Grenada?