"Dominica-the nature island" Top 5 Page for this destination Dominica by Dabs
Dominica Travel Guide: 299 reviews and 856 photos
Dominica (pronounced Dom-inn-EEK-ah) was the second stop on our Caribbean cruise in January 2010 and the main reason why I chose the itinerary I did as I had read that it was one of the lusher, less traveled islands in the Caribbean. Unfortunately that wasn't true on the day that we arrived, three large cruise ships in port meant every place we went was jam packed with cruise ship passengers all craning to get the same photos of the same attraction. We beat the pack to Trafalgar Falls but by the time we got to the Emerald Pool there was a huge line to get to the pool, at least most of them were just taking pictures and not going in for a swim
The 2nd visit in January 2014 was better, although we couldn't find a tour guide to take us to our 1st choice, Middleham Falls, we did have a much better tour guide and less ships in port meant less congestion. This time we stopped at Champagne Reef for snorkeling, way too many people as everyone stops here either 1st or last on the itineraries. We then headed to Morne Bruce which is just a photo stop, a drive through the botanic gardens, Titou Gorge and finally Trafalgar Falls. Although we had already been here the 1st time, it was a totally different experience.
Dominica is not the choice for travelers heading to the Caribbean looking for white sand beaches and luxury resorts. The few beaches we saw were covered in black sand due to the volcanic activity. And so far the island has resisted the lure of the mega all inclusive resorts which isn't a bad thing considering that you are going to the "nature island". It's too bad that they don't limit the number of cruise passengers per day, obviously it's important to their economy to have all those folks there but I thought it was just way too overcrowded.
- Cons:Too many cruise ship passengers including me
Our experience at Trafalgar Falls on our 1st visit in 2010 and our 2nd visit in 2014 was dramatically different. We... more travel advice
Emerald Pool was the final stop on our trip, like Trafalgar Falls it is also located in Morne Trois Pitons National Park... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- "Martin_S.'s Dominica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 15 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 40 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues