"Dominica-the nature island" Top 5 Page for this destination Dominica by Dabs

Dominica Travel Guide: 293 reviews and 845 photos

Dominica (pronounced Dom-inn-EEK-ah) was the second stop on our Caribbean cruise in January 2010 and the main reason why I chose the itinerary I did as I had read that it was one of the lusher, less traveled islands in the Caribbean. Unfortunately that wasn't true on the day that we arrived, three large cruise ships in port meant every place we went was jam packed with cruise ship passengers all craning to get the same photos of the same attraction. We beat the pack to Trafalgar Falls but by the time we got to the Emerald Pool there was a huge line to get to the pool, at least most of them were just taking pictures and not going in for a swim

The 2nd visit in January 2014 was better, although we couldn't find a tour guide to take us to our 1st choice, Middleham Falls, we did have a much better tour guide and less ships in port meant less congestion. This time we stopped at Champagne Reef for snorkeling, way too many people as everyone stops here either 1st or last on the itineraries. We then headed to Morne Bruce which is just a photo stop, a drive through the botanic gardens, Titou Gorge and finally Trafalgar Falls. Although we had already been here the 1st time, it was a totally different experience.

Dominica is not the choice for travelers heading to the Caribbean looking for white sand beaches and luxury resorts. The few beaches we saw were covered in black sand due to the volcanic activity. And so far the island has resisted the lure of the mega all inclusive resorts which isn't a bad thing considering that you are going to the "nature island". It's too bad that they don't limit the number of cruise passengers per day, obviously it's important to their economy to have all those folks there but I thought it was just way too overcrowded.

• Cons:Too many cruise ship passengers including me
  • Last visit to Dominica: Jan 2014
  • Intro Updated Mar 11, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2014 at 3:11 AM

I ordinarily don't get too upset about finding lots of tourists in a place, especially if I am one of them, but three cruise ships on the same day does sound like definitely too much of a good thing.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hi, Kristi! Thanks for your interesting story and nice pictures...

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Sorry to hear that your day on Dominica was a bust. 3 ships full of tourists at once sounds like a nightmare.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Hahaha... OK, the long queue to get into the pool is pretty funny. Humans are really bizarre sometimes.

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2010 at 5:23 AM

Is this where you visited this trip?! Can't wait to see pics and read your stories!

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Dominica

Have you been to Dominica?

Latest Activity in Dominica