"Dominica-the nature island" Top 5 Page for this destination Dominica by Dabs
Dominica Travel Guide: 291 reviews and 838 photos
In the end the port I had looked the most forward to ended up being the only disappointment of the trip. Had I built it up so much that it couldn't possibly match my expectations? Does Dominica not have the necessary infrastructure to handle the onslaught of thousands of cruise passengers? Did I pick the wrong places to visit? The wrong tour guide? I wish I had taken a little more care in planning our day in Dominica, many list this island as their favorite stop in the Caribbean.
Dominica (pronounced Dom-inn-EEK-ah) was the second stop on our Caribbean cruise and the main reason why I chose the itinerary I did as I had read that it was one of the lusher, less traveled islands in the Caribbean. Unfortunately that wasn't true on the day that we arrived, three large cruise ships in port meant every place we went was jam packed with cruise ship passengers all craning to get the same photos of the same attraction. We beat the pack to Trafalgar Falls but by the time we got to the Emerald Pool there was a huge line to get to the pool, at least most of them were just taking pictures and not going in for a swim.
Dominica is not the choice for travelers heading to the Caribbean looking for white sand beaches and luxury resorts. The few beaches we saw were covered in black sand due to the volcanic activity. And so far the island has resisted the lure of the mega all inclusive resorts which isn't a bad thing considering that you are going to the "nature island". It's too bad that they don't limit the number of cruise passengers per day, obviously it's important to their economy to have all those folks there but I thought it was just way too overcrowded.
- Cons:Too many cruise ship passengers including me
Champagne Reef was the 1st stop on our tour with Bumpiing Tours, unfortunately it was also the 1st stop for about 100... more travel advice
This was a quirky stop on our tour that people seemed to enjoy, Mr. Nice is a real character, he stands at a table... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Dominica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Green Island"
- "Dominica-the nature island"
- "Steve's Dominica page"
- "Dominica: 1000 shades of green"
- "Martin_S.'s Dominica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dominica
- Hotels in Dominica
- Transportation in Dominica
- Nightlife in Dominica
- Restaurants in Dominica
- Shopping in Dominica
- Warnings and Dangers in Dominica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dominica
- 14 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (125)
Have you been to Dominica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dominica
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 260 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 183 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues