Moscow Off The Beaten Path Tips by Dabs
Moscow Off The Beaten Path: 334 reviews and 528 photos
Pushkin & wife
Aleksandar Pushkin (1799-1837) was a Russian poet who's most famous work was Eugene Onegin. Pushkin married a society beauty, Natalya Goncharova, who ultimately was the cause of his tragic demise. Upon hearing that his brother in law Baron Georges d'Anthes (married to Natalya's sister) was making advances on his wife and that perhaps she welcomed them, he challenged him to a duel to defend her honor. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that pride was his real motivation since he received an anonymous note indicating that he had been elected to "The Serene Order of Cuckolds". In any event, he was fatally wounded.
If you have a hard time slogging through Eugene Onegin you can instead rent the movie version starring the very fine Ralph Fiennes.
This statue of Pushkin and his wife can be found on old Arbat Street.
Grave of Yuri Nikulin from Moscow Circus
If you are visiting the Novodevichy Convent, the cemetery is next door. I always feel a little disrespectful visiting cemeteries, even the more famous ones, if they are still active so our visit here was quick.
Many famous Russians have been buried at this cemetery including Nikita Khrushchev, Raisa Gorbachev, Anton Chekhov, Dmitry Shostakovich and Stalin's second wife, Nadezhda Alliluyeva whose tombstone is encased in glass due to vandals having broken her nose off.
Lonely Planet's Moscow guidebook has a map of the more notable graves.
There is a small admission fee, the tickets can be purchased to the right of the entrance. Depending on which guidebook you believe it is open from either 9-6 or 10-6 daily.
This 36 floor high building is the tallest of Stalin's Seven Sisters and for many years was the tallest building in Moscow. It was built by German Prisoners of war.
Closest metro: Universitet
At the Nikulin Circus
Here's another photo at the park across from the Nikulin circus
Me and a clown (that's me on the left!)
Across the street from the Nikulin Circus, there's a small park with clown statutes, a perfect photo opportunity :-)
Grave of Nikita Khrushchev
Nikita Khrushchev was the Soviet First Secretary and Premier from 1957 until 1964 when he was deposed. He was judged unsuitable for the Kremlin wall and is instead buried at the Novodevichy Cemetery.
The black and white blocks around his bust are intended to represent his good and bad sides.
Eight skyscrapers were planned and seven built, forming a ring in the center of Moscow. Often called the "Seven Sisters," they are:
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs
The Hotel Ukraine
The Moscow State University Tower
Red Gate Square
Statue of Peter the Great
This enormous 94 meter high bronze statue of Peter the Great by sculptor Tsereteli towers over the Moscow River. It was unveiled in 1997 during the celebration of Moscow's 850th anniversary and was dedicated to the 300th anniversary of the Russian navy.
The statue survived a bombing attempt and created quite a stir in Moscow, after all Peter the Great moved the capital of Russia to St. Petersburg and was known to dislike Moscow.
The statue bears a striking resemblance to another statue by this sculptor of Christopher Columbus which was also controversial, it was rejected by 5 U.S. states for reason ranging from its cost and its appearance. It eventually ended up in Puerto Rico.
Me at the playground
Just had to get a photo of the seesaw with the bear and the beavers (or are these gophers? woodchucks?)
More Reviews (31)
- See All Old Circus (Nikulin)
- See All Driving in Moscow
- See All Elki Palki
- See All Avoid traffic, take the metro!
Dabs' Related Pages
Moscow Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Moscow..."
- "Memories of Moscow"
- "Mother Russia"
- "Moscow is my Universe"
- "Marvellous Moscow"
- "Moscow - Thrilling capital of Russia"
- "MOSCOW !!! MOCKBA !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Moscow
- Hotels in Moscow
- Transportation in Moscow
- Nightlife in Moscow
- Restaurants in Moscow
- Shopping in Moscow
- Warnings and Dangers in Moscow
- See All...
Explore the World
- Pinili Hotels
- Whangarei Hotels
- Keystone Hotels
- Rhode Island Hotels
- Land Schleswig-Holstein
- Salerno Off The Beaten Path
- Møre og Romsdal Off The Beaten Path
- Maratea Off The Beaten Path
- Borovec Off The Beaten Path
- Syros Island Off The Beaten Path
- Prenzlauer Berg
- Malaysia Off The Beaten Path
- Cheltenham Off The Beaten Path
- Sungei Buloh Nature Park
- Burgos Off The Beaten Path
- Vintgar gorge
Badges & Stats in Moscow
- 40 Reviews
- 65 Photos
- 26 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Moscow?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Moscow
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Gather Those Rosebuds"
- updated a Moscow Travel Page "Moscow, how you've changed!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Statue of Pushkin on Arbat Street"
- Commented on one of ratherton's Moscow travel pages
- Wrote a Review At the Nikulin Circus-another photo in Moscow Off The Beaten Path
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Moscow hotel reviews
- Marriott Tverskaya
- 168 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Danilovskaya Hotel Moscow
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 23, 2013
- Domodedovo AirHotel Moscow
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Central House of Tourists Moscow
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 18, 2013
- Moskva Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Vostok Hotel Moskow
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 9, 2009
- Moscow Home Hostel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 27, 2013
- Izmailovo Vega Hotel Moscow
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Airport Sheremetyevo 2 Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Travellers Guest House (TGH)
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
- Tourist Hotel Moscow
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 9, 2013
- Marriott Moscow Royal
- 256 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Sretenskaya Hotel Moscow
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 15, 2013
- Zvezdnaya Hotel Moscow
- 8 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Godzillas Hostel
- 136 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Kremlin- 229 Reviews, 381 Photos
- KGB Headquarters Lubyanka- 29 Reviews, 40 Photos
- Red Square- 121 Reviews, 194 Photos
- Red Square - Saint Basil Cathedral- 64 Reviews, 130 Photos
- Red Square - G.U.M. - Gosudarstevemy Universahy Magazin- 34 Reviews, 68 Photos
- Bolshoi Theatre- 42 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Arbat Street- 39 Reviews, 67 Photos
- Tverskaya Street- 34 Reviews, 56 Photos
- Metro- 57 Reviews, 99 Photos
- Red Square - Lenin Mausoleum- 40 Reviews, 58 Photos
See All Moscow Things to Do