Bucharest Off The Beaten Path Tips by Dabs
Bucharest Off The Beaten Path: 53 reviews and 73 photos
Surely the oddest building we saw in Bucharest is the former Securitate building, a glass and steel structure plopped on top of the ruin of an old brick building that was destroyed by protesters in 2003.
Located near the Piata Revolutiei on Strada Dobrescu
Mogosoaia Palace, located 10km northwest of Bucharest, is a very easy daytrip and a lovely place to spend a few hours away from the chaos, noise and traffic of central Bucharest.
The Palace was designed by Constantin Brancoveanu, a Wallachian prince, in 1698-1702 as a summer residence and inheritance for his son Stefan. After Stefan was killed, it served as an inn and a warehouse before being turned over to the Bibescu family, relations of the Branconveanu's. It was handed over to the State in 1956 and served as a museum until the 1970s when Ceausescu closed it and appropriated all the furniture.
Be sure to take a peek in the St. George's Chapel, have a look behind the Palace at the gardens and lake, have a walk in the woods, and find the mammoth statue of Lenin, removed from the Piata Presei after the 1989 revolution, and a slightly smaller statue of prime minister Petru Groza behind the old kitchen wall.
Less important is a visit to the interior of the Palace, it's rather spartanly decorated, with little furniture or wall decoration thanks to Ceausescu. Still, it's only 40,000 lei (about $2US) to visit so I figured we're here, might as well. Just don't bother with the camera fee, very little to photograph here.
To get there we hopped on a maxitaxi heading to Buftea from the starting point near Bucuresti Nord train station, 20,000 lei each to ride (less than $1US). Since there are not marked stops, be sure and ask a local where to get off or if possible sit near the driver. There is a brown sign on the side of the road marking where to turn. From there you walk about 1/4 mile to the Palace grounds. On the way back, we stood by the side of the road (no sign marking the stop) and within 10-15 minutes a maxitaxi was whisking back to central Bucharest. I think it took about 20 minutes to get there.
Like many other cities across the world before them, Bucharest is counting on a herd of fiberglass cows to bring in a herd of camera toting tourists and to brighten up the city with the whimsically designed bovines.
Bucharest is one of several cities hosting Cow Parades this summer. The first public displays of cows as art was in Switzerland in 1998, in 1999 my hometown of Chicago adopted the idea and was successful in getting lots of people to visit to see them. Since then many other cities have used this idea to sponsor public art and raise funds for charity when the cows are auctioned off at the end.
We only came across two while in Bucharest, since it was the beginning of the exhibition there was no map of the locations to be found but In Your Pocket promised to have one in their June/July issue.
The Cow Parade runs through September 12 after which the cows will be auctioned off for charity.
The statue marks the spot from where all the distances to other Romanian cities are measured. The marker says it's in memory of December 21, 1989, the day the Revolution started that ultimately ended in Ceausescu's death. It also lists April 22-June 13, 1990
In Your Pocket lists the kilometre 0 marker as being on Boulevard Bratianu in front of Sf. Gheorghe church with a different description, this one is in front of the Teatrul National so I'm wondering if there are two Kilometre 0 markers
More Reviews (27)
- See All Cismigiu Gardens
- Ceausecu's final public moment
- See All Beggars
- See All Guidebooks and useful information
- See All Arriving at the International airport
Dabs' Related Pages
Bucharest Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Thrill, a Challenge, a Laughter"
- "About my homecity - Bucharest"
- "I learned to love it"
- "Bucharest, Romania"
- "Bucharest / Bucureşti"
- "Bucharest - Trapped Between Past And Future"
- "Bucharest-1st stop on a Romania tour"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bucharest
- Hotels in Bucharest
- Transportation in Bucharest
- Nightlife in Bucharest
- Restaurants in Bucharest
- Shopping in Bucharest
- Warnings and Dangers in Bucharest
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ofuna Hotels
- Imabari Hotels
- Broadbeach Hotels
- Kigali Hotels
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
- Milan Off The Beaten Path
- Greece Off The Beaten Path
- Oklahoma City Off The Beaten Path
- Kansas Off The Beaten Path
- Andalucía Off The Beaten Path
- Branson Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Prairie Off The Beaten Path
- Cadaqués Off The Beaten Path
- Beaune Off The Beaten Path
- Seward Off The Beaten Path
- Mossel Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Kingston upon Thames Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Bucharest
- 31 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Bucharest?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bucharest
Photos in BucharestSee All Photos (43)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 65 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Bucharest hotel reviews
- Radisson SAS Hotel Bucharest
- 433 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 5, 2013
- Residence Phoenix
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Golden Tulip Sky Gate
- 81 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 20, 2013
- InterContinental Bucharest
- 343 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 8, 2013
- Vila 11 Bed & Breakfast
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 25, 2013
- Howard Johnson Grand Plaza Bucharest
- 170 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Ramada Hotel Bucharest Parc
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- GreenClub Hotels Bucharest
- 2 Reviews & Opinions
- Crystal Palace
- 20 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 6, 2013
- Class Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Carol Parc Hotel
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 31, 2008
- 21 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- 23 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Parliament Palace - Casa Poporului- 72 Reviews, 135 Photos
- Revolution Square - Piata Revolutiei- 25 Reviews, 69 Photos
- Village Museum- 26 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Cismigiu Park- 31 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Herastrau Park- 20 Reviews, 53 Photos
- Triumphal Arch - Arcul de Triumf- 27 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Romanian Athenaeum- 24 Reviews, 47 Photos
- Museum of the Romanian Peasant- 12 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Military Club- 10 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Press House- 10 Reviews, 21 Photos
See All Bucharest Things to Do