"Iasi" Top 5 Page for this destination Iasi by Dabs

Iasi Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 170 photos

I originally contacted a guide about visiting the painted monasteries in Bucovina and he suggested incorporating Iasi so as to not get monastery burnout. So we hopped on a very early morning train from Bucharest arriving around 11 am into Iasi (pronounced yash) expecting to get a nice highlight tour of a city the guide books describe as the cultural capital of Moldavia and a city where you will want to spend some time.

Well, that's not quite what we got, I suppose it didn't help that it was a cold overcast day and it really didn't help having a guide that flunked "Tour Guide Basics 101". So I can't tell you whether I would recommend this place or not, just that it certainly wasn't a highlight on our tour of Romania.

• Last visit to Iasi: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Jul 7, 2005

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM

Kristi, interesting page about your adventures in Iasi. It seems that your guide was indeed not the very best of his kind. - We missed you at the VT Eurmeet in Bergamo last month.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 1:59 PM

What a weird trip you had to this town!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Funny commentary LOL

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 4:35 AM

The restaurant Trei Sarmale looked nice. Hey, what can I say!!!

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2006 at 10:07 AM

You definitely had the worst guide!! :( Iasi is interesting if you know the spots. Have you been up the hill in the evening to see the city lights? I suppose that damn guide did not advice you so. And the priest lecturing you about America's culture ?!

• b1bob's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2005 at 12:53 PM

Nice job!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Iasi