"I'm sure it will be lovely in 2007...." Sibiu by Dabs

Sibiu Travel Guide: 400 reviews and 1,568 photos

Sibiu has been selected as the European Cultural Capital for 2007 so I'm sure that is a lovely historic place. The problem, of course, is that I visited Sibiu in 2005 when they were preparing for this honor, the main square, Piata Mare, is entirely ripped up although a nearby sign says that it should be complete by the end of 2005.

By 2007 the town should be cleaned and polished but then again, I'm not sure I'd want to be there in 2007 along with the herd of tourists (and naturally higher prices) that such designations bring.

Until then, it's a real challenge to get pictures without construction equipment, mounds of dirt or temporary fencing

• Pros:I can imagine what it will look like in a couple of years
  • Cons:I wasn't there in a couple of years :-(
  • In a nutshell:Come when it's clean and polished
  • Last visit to Sibiu: May 2005
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2005

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM

It seems a nice place to spend some days.

Ciao!

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Nice pictures, I think Sibiu is a very nice place for the European meeting

• Heian's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2009 at 3:32 PM

Sibiu is now a wonderful medieval city after restoration. It worth to be visited. The pedestrian area (Large Square, Small Square, Pharmacy Museum and many more) lets you to discover its beauty.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2009 at 4:35 AM

Lovely little page about Sibiu. Although we have now visited quite a few cities in Romania, we never really made it to Sibiu which seems to be one of the most attractive cities, especially after 2007.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 12:54 PM

Hi Kristi. This looks like a beautiful city...even though the city centre was a "work-in-progress" during your visit! I'll try to get out of Bucharest for one of my days in Romania - but with only 2 1/2 days there, it might prove difficult.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 1:38 PM

Too bad about the construction and timing of your visits. As the saying goes: 'if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any at all'! I thought you did very well on the Orthodox Cathedral and 'sickle' pics and the hotel info was great too!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2006 at 8:42 AM

Great shot of a the man with a sickle :-) I was in Sibiu as a kid... it looked neglected that time, I have to revisit it after 2007, I see.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2006 at 2:28 PM

They are still at it, working round the clock. Hammers, jackhammers, buzzsaws, welding machines. Makes for quite the ambience when trying to enjoy a beer on a late summers evening.

• DPando's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2005 at 4:23 AM

great advice yuors about main square build progress!!!

• dlandt's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2005 at 9:19 AM

Not even I knew about Mihnea being buried here! Also, I like dhte section about the Liar's Bridge. Is that a lawyer talking on it?

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Sibiu