"Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site" Sighisoara by Dabs
Sighisoara Travel Guide: 398 reviews and 1,092 photos
Sighisoara is one of the wonderfully preserved medieval Saxon towns you will find while visiting Transylvania and the one that we liked the best. The citadel, or old town, is built up on a hillside, surrounded by the city walls with 9 of the original 14 towers built by the various guilds of craftsmen. The highest point features a church which seemed to be the centerpoint of all of the Saxon towns that we visited. A 1/2 day was adequate time to see the sights, have a walk through town and grab a bite to eat.
Dracula tourists are also drawn to Sighisoara since it is the birthplace of Vlad the Impaler aka Vlad Dracula. Unlike nearby Bran Castle which has been substituted as Dracula's Castle since the real one is in ruins (a true spark of capitalism there!), Sighisoara seems to have a real link to the real life Dracula. I get the sense that Romanians don't like the connection of Bram Stoker's fictional bloodsucker to their Impaler, despite his brutal and bloody methods he seems to be somewhat of a hero.
For those of you not familiar with impaling, I understand that the goal was to keep someone alive as long as possible after having inserted a spike through their anus (ouch!), the exit point being somewhere around the head or shoulders. The spikes were then erected and placed so that everyone knows who's boss.
I'm not sure of the literal translation of the sign found on the Dracul house but I'm pretty sure it says something close to this is Dracul's (Dracula's father) house and he lived here from 1431-1435
- Pros:Wonderfully preserved medieval town
- Cons:none that I can think of
It might just be my overactive imagination, I had after all just finished two books on vampires and werewolves, but this... more travel advice
To the north of the Clock Tower is the Monastery Church, not only was it under scaffolding but it was also closed when... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Sighisoara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE MOST BEAUTIFULL TOWN IN ROMANIA"
- "Sigishoara - Medieval pearl of Transylvania"
- "Sighişoara: "Dracula's" home town"
- "Sighisoara - Doesn't need to rely on Dracula"
- "Dracula's True Birthplace"
- "Sighisoara-an UNESCO World Heritage site"
- "Sighisoara - Schaessburg - Segesvar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighisoara
- Hotels in Sighisoara
- Transportation in Sighisoara
- Nightlife in Sighisoara
- Restaurants in Sighisoara
- Shopping in Sighisoara
- Warnings and Dangers in Sighisoara
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighisoara
- 23 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (160)
Have you been to Sighisoara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighisoara
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 412 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues