"Amsterdam, a popular layover destination" Amsterdam by Dabs

Amsterdam Travel Guide: 10,230 reviews and 21,443 photos

Both of my visits to Amsterdam have been on long layovers flying from another European city back home to the US. My choices for flying this time was either through London Heathrow or Amsterdam Schiphol, Amsterdam's airport is large but it's still a lot easier to transfer through than Heathrow and the transportation option to the city much easier and quicker.

We had an intentional 7 hour layover in Amsterdam, once we got there and saw the gloomy gray skies, I wished I had opted for a few extra hours in bed!!! But the rain held off and we enjoyed a canal cruise and a walk through the central area of Amsterdam before hopping back on the train and heading back for the long journey home.

• Last visit to Amsterdam: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 14, 2008

• wabat's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 4:21 AM

Kristi, great little page on Amsterdam. For a short trip you got a good insight to the city. Love your main photo above,

• Dabs's Profile Photo
      Feb 9, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Thanks Albert! Someday we'll have to visit the city properly, twice now just on long layovers.

• wabat's Profile Photo
      Feb 9, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Its certainly worth more than a stopover but hard to make time for everywhere -:(

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I've just completed my Amsterdam tips and updated a few of my others I am suprised I have never visited your pages before this is my favourite city!!

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2009 at 10:21 PM

Great tips from a short visit! Besides a whale or ship, NEMO mirrors the entrance of the IJ-tunnel it is built next to! Cheers, Dennis

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Lovely Amsterdam page! Bring back fond memories of our trip to that city on several occasions. Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• MATIM's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Hi Kristi, like your page about AMsterdam. That heat David is wearing was probably a gear for the upcoming European or World championship soccer

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Boy, Kristi, you and David did/saw a good deal in the short time there. I learned much from you keen insights. Enjoyed your train adventure, the canal tour, the cultural tidbits, the Hooks on the buildings, & yummy cookies.

• tvor's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Yep, Amsterdam and Brussels in May. I think one day we'll go to Bruges and the other just get a tour around Brussels and stick our heads in a museum or two

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Another couple of layovers like this and you will be able to cover all the key Amsterdam attractions!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I think boat cruises add a different perspective to your travel-you made a good decision to see some of Amsterdam that way!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Yes, I think those different boat tour companies all take more or less the same route. I took the boat tour on a rainy day because when I wasn't raining I wanted to go cycling instead. Strange you saw so few cyclists; usually there are thousands!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Amsterdam

Have you been to Amsterdam?

Latest Activity in Amsterdam