"Ceske Budejovice" Top 5 Page for this destination Ceske Budejovice by Dabs
Ceske Budejovice Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 523 photos
Ceske Budejovice was our 1st stop on our four country jaunt through Europe in May 2008. It's a pleasant enough place with a very attractive main square, you will find pods of tourists floating around, most seemed to be German, but it's not overwhelmingly touristy. Cesky Krumlov and Hluboka are both easy daytrips if you decide to stay here.
Ceske Budejovice was founded in 1265 by King Otakar II as a German merchants colony, it's wealth coming from the silver mines and it's location on the salt route from Linz, Austria to Prague. In the 17th century, it was wiped out by war and fire but restored by the Hapsburgs in the 18th century. Today the city is known for it's local beer, Budvar, known in the US as Budweiser although I've read that the US equivalent is much inferior to the Czech beer.
We didn't spend much time at all during the day in Ceske Budejovice, should you want to spend some time here you can visit the Budvar brewery, visit the interior of a couple of churchs or one of the museums, there's a motorcycle museum, a museum of South Bohemia and a horse-drawn railway museum.
Or you might try the tourism office's walking tour
- Pros:Good base for sights in southern Bohemia
- Cons:Few restaurants in the old town
My favorite building in Ceske Budejovice was across the street from Masny Kramy, on the corner of Krajinska and Hroznova... more travel advice
We finished up in Cesky Krumlov earlier than I expected so we asked what was nearby that we could see and they suggested... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Ceske Budejovice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ceske Budejovice - much more than just a beer !!"
- "Welcome in Budweis"
- "Ceske Budejovice"
- "Ceské Budejovice"
- "The Home of Budvar"
- "Orlikins jdu Ceske Budejovice"
- "Ceske Budejovice Czech Rep."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ceske Budejovice
- Hotels in Ceske Budejovice
- Transportation in Ceske Budejovice
- Nightlife in Ceske Budejovice
- Restaurants in Ceske Budejovice
- Shopping in Ceske Budejovice
- Warnings and Dangers in Ceske Budejovice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ceske Budejovice
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (126)
Have you been to Ceske Budejovice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ceske Budejovice
Photos in Ceske BudejoviceSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 404 reviews, 588 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 259 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 108 reviews, 179 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues
- Baltimore Intro, 36 reviews, 116 photos, 5 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (146)
Latest Ceske Budejovice hotel reviews
- Penzion Restaurant Centrum
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2012
- Gran Hotel Zvon
- 38 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hotel Garni P.V.T.
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 17, 2013
- Residence U Cerne Veze
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 24, 2013
- Hotel Bohemia
- 3 Reviews & Opinions
- Hotel Filip
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 11, 2013