"An easy daytrip from Prague" Kutna Hora by Dabs
Kutna Hora Travel Guide: 370 reviews and 971 photos
Kutna Hora is a very easy daytrip to take from Prague and one of the closest, there's lots to see and do so plan on spending the whole day. At one time Kutna Hora was second only to Prague in importance due to the discovery of silver and copper deposits, German miners came in the late 13th century to work in the mines, the royal mint was there and while the silver was coming out of the mines, the town prospered. Cheap silver from South America started Kutna Hora's decline in the 16th century and a fire in 1770 marked the end. Today it's a town of only 21,000 people, Prague is just a *little* bit larger with over a million residents.
The reason initially for the visit was my friend Ed's (kaspian), a connoisseur of the macabre, interest in seeing the bone church in nearby Sedlec. Some may find a church decorated with the remains of 40,000 people a little creepy, Ed didn't think it was creepy enough, I thought it was a curiousity worth seeing.
Kutna Hora is on UNESCO's World Heritage list for the gothic cathedral of St. Barbara, the Cathedral of Our Lady in Sedlec and the well preserved medieval town. We missed a couple of things that show up as things to do, we didn't see the Cathedral of Our Lady in Sedlec and we didn't see the Italian Court, be sure to look into those to see if they are of interest to you.
- Pros:Easy daytrip for Prague, lots to see and do
- Cons:Prepare to walk or figure out the trains and buses
The Stone House was the 1st sight we came across, it is an old burgher house dating back to the 1400s. The current... more travel advice
We didn't have a whole lot of time before our tour of the silver mine started so we hurried up the street to see St.... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Kutna Hora Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Old bones Galore for the serious bone connaisseur"
- "North Bohemian Growing Pains"
- "Kutná Hora - treasury of the Czech Kingdom"
- "ONCE A RICH SILVER CITY - NOW A UNESCO SITE"
- "The Historical Kutna Hora.."
- "St Barbara Cathedral..."
- "Kutna Hora - formerly rich of silver Czech town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kutna Hora
- Hotels in Kutna Hora
- Transportation in Kutna Hora
- Nightlife in Kutna Hora
- Restaurants in Kutna Hora
- Shopping in Kutna Hora
- Warnings and Dangers in Kutna Hora
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kutna Hora
- 9 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Kutna Hora?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kutna Hora
Photos in Kutna HoraSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 608 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 271 reviews, 482 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues