"An easy daytrip from Prague" Kutna Hora by Dabs

Kutna Hora Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 961 photos

Kutna Hora is a very easy daytrip to take from Prague and one of the closest, there's lots to see and do so plan on spending the whole day. At one time Kutna Hora was second only to Prague in importance due to the discovery of silver and copper deposits, German miners came in the late 13th century to work in the mines, the royal mint was there and while the silver was coming out of the mines, the town prospered. Cheap silver from South America started Kutna Hora's decline in the 16th century and a fire in 1770 marked the end. Today it's a town of only 21,000 people, Prague is just a *little* bit larger with over a million residents.

The reason initially for the visit was my friend Ed's (kaspian), a connoisseur of the macabre, interest in seeing the bone church in nearby Sedlec. Some may find a church decorated with the remains of 40,000 people a little creepy, Ed didn't think it was creepy enough, I thought it was a curiousity worth seeing.

Kutna Hora is on UNESCO's World Heritage list for the gothic cathedral of St. Barbara, the Cathedral of Our Lady in Sedlec and the well preserved medieval town. We missed a couple of things that show up as things to do, we didn't see the Cathedral of Our Lady in Sedlec and we didn't see the Italian Court, be sure to look into those to see if they are of interest to you.

• Pros:Easy daytrip for Prague, lots to see and do
  • Cons:Prepare to walk or figure out the trains and buses
  • Last visit to Kutna Hora: May 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2008

Travelogues (1)

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2012 at 5:35 AM

An afternoon in Kutna Hora still ended up being quite rushed. I found the bone church fascinating, i still have difficulty understand why a noble family would have a church decorated with bones? a bit macabre, though i know it has been done elsewhere. Either way an unforgettable sight. regards from maryland

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM

Amazing how they have arranged the bones into Chandeliers etc, would love to see it for myself! Nice page!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM

The Bone Church in Sedlec must have been so fascinating to see. The cathedral and column is beautiful. You have very lovely pages. Thanks for sharing.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2008 at 12:43 PM

Great tips on Kutna Hora wish I made it here when I was in Prague but we did go to a pretty freaky place in Brno

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2008 at 8:22 PM

Glad to hear that you made it to Kutna Hora. It's an interesting town. We missed the bone church, but St. Barbara's is definitely worth seeing if you ever get back there.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2008 at 8:37 AM

I have always wanted to see that bone church... now I know how to get there!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM

Kristi, another fabulous new page of yours. It reminds me on my daytrip to Kutna Hora from Prague which I also did by train. Well done. :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 4:34 AM

Kutna Hora seems to have quite a number of interesting things to do for its size! I remember being amazed when I first heard of its ossuary and found your tips and photos of it fascinating.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 1:12 PM

Great information, even the transportation tips are excellent. Loved David as a miner. Sounds like a challenging tour [but, I don't have to worry about being too tall!] grin. Bone Church is awesome. Great to see a pizza tip.

• rmdw's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 4:36 PM

FYI a white hat and white lab coat doesn't turn an Indiana lawyer into a Mining Engineer. Besides, I've never heard of an underground worker wearing a white coat!!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Kutna Hora

Have you been to Kutna Hora?

Latest Activity in Kutna Hora