"The Battle of the Bulge" Top 5 Page for this destination Bastogne by Dabs
Bastogne Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 182 photos
The Battle of the Bulge, also known as the Battle of the Ardennes, started on December 16, 1944 when Hitler launched a surprise attack in an effort to reach the port of Antwerp. There were many factors working against the American forces as they defended Bastogne against the Germans, they were outnumbered, cut off from their supplies, without cold weather gear in a brutally cold winter yet the Germans were still unable to take Bastogne.
This was one of the most fierce battles of WWII, it was over by the end of January 1945 at a cost of many lives, estimates vary but the toll was somewhere around 75,000 Americans and 100,000 Germans.
In the center of town is a square named after famous American General McAuliffe whose short and sweet response to the... more travel advice
All I wanted to eat was a sandwich and some soup so we picked the more casual Bistro Leo over the Restaurant Leo next... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Bastogne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bastogne Battlefields"
- "The Battle of the Bulge"
- "MATIM's new Bastogne Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bastogne
- Hotels in Bastogne
- Transportation in Bastogne
- Restaurants in Bastogne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bastogne
- 6 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Bastogne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bastogne
Photos in BastogneSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 262 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues