"Brugge" Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge by Dabs

Brugge Travel Guide: 2,688 reviews and 7,166 photos

Brugge is one of those rare towns that is both a must see and a tourist trap. With a little care in planning, you can avoid the tourist trap side of the city and have a lovely visit to this magical place. Try to spend at least one night here, after the day trippers leave, it becomes a quiet lovely place to take a stroll and find a good meal.

Start your visit in the heart of the town at the Markt and the Burg, the square adjoining the Markt but make sure you head to the south of the center to see the area around the Lake of Love and the Begijnhof, my favorite spot in Brugge. A canal trip, although touristy, is a must and if Brugge is your only stop in Belgium (or even if it's not), try some frites, Belgian beer, a fresh Liege waffle and some of the chocolates that Belgium is famous for.

Our visit in August 2013 was our 4th visit to Brugge, We stopped for 1 night so that David could swim in the canals for the 2nd time and then headed to the Grand Braderie in Lille which is held the 1st weekend in September. Our 1st visit in September 2000 was just a 1/2 day stop between Gent and Lille, our 2nd visit was in September 2006 when we spent 2 nights on a driving trip mostly through Belgium. September 2011 was our 3rd visit and was our 1st stop on a driving trip through Belgium and France, we spent 2 nights here before heading to Lille for the Grand Braderie. If given the opportunity, I'd come back here in a heartbeat!

• Pros:Charming medieval city
  • Cons:Lots of tourists!
  • Last visit to Brugge: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2013

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Me again, just catching up on the tips that you have added or updated since my last visit to this page. I was in Brugge last August for a couple days and was duly impressed.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2011 at 12:24 PM

Hello, Kristi! It's a very picturesque place in Belgium!~ It would be great to visit it some day~

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2011 at 9:52 AM

We talked about Bruges when we met in Paris a couple weeks ago, so I was very interested in reading your tips/reviews about it, especially the one about the 13e Brugse Zwemdoortocht. In the meantime I have again seen the opera that takes place in Bruges, The Dead City by Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

• Jun 27, 2011 at 3:30 AM

very beautiful place, seems to be good idea for the day-trip from Brussles

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Can't believe I haven't visited these pages earlier, great tips & I know the feeling of closed monday this happens in Amsterdam a lot

• pure1942's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Great page and pics Kristi. Visited Brugge many years ago during a school exchange to Belguim. Have to admit I didn't appreciate the beauty of Brugge as much as I would now...I'll have to return. Thanks for jogging my memory. All the best. Brian

• Jan 22, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Thanks for all the info on Brugge. It is all most helpful. I especially liked your pix of the canals and they convinced me to take the ship's excursion there. It looks like a little jewel of a town!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2008 at 7:02 AM

I bet there was no waffling on the fact that you were Brugged by the fact that everything was closed on Monday!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Brugge is just incredibly beautiful. Each time I review someone's page I want to go. I MUST do the boat tour. I will definately NOT go up all those stairs! :-) would love to see the women making lace...eat waffles...see the windmills....yum

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I always say that BELBIUM can be a very charming trip for any travellers, and your pages are the real proof of that!;)

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Brugge