"Brugge" Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge by Dabs
Brugge Travel Guide: 2,697 reviews and 7,103 photos
Brugge is one of those rare towns that is both a must see and a tourist trap. With a little care in planning, you can avoid the tourist trap side of the city and have a lovely visit to this magical place. Try to spend at least one night here, after the day trippers leave, it becomes a quiet lovely place to take a stroll and find a good meal.
Start your visit in the heart of the town at the Markt and the Burg, the square adjoining the Markt but make sure you head to the south of the center to see the area around the Lake of Love and the Begijnhof, my favorite spot in Brugge. A canal trip, although touristy, is a must and if Brugge is your only stop in Belgium (or even if it's not), try some frites, Belgian beer, a fresh Liege waffle and some of the chocolates that Belgium is famous for.
Our visit in August 2013 was our 4th visit to Brugge, We stopped for 1 night so that David could swim in the canals for the 2nd time and then headed to the Grand Braderie in Lille which is held the 1st weekend in September. Our 1st visit in September 2000 was just a 1/2 day stop between Gent and Lille, our 2nd visit was in September 2006 when we spent 2 nights on a driving trip mostly through Belgium. September 2011 was our 3rd visit and was our 1st stop on a driving trip through Belgium and France, we spent 2 nights here before heading to Lille for the Grand Braderie. If given the opportunity, I'd come back here in a heartbeat!
- Pros:Charming medieval city
- Cons:Lots of tourists!
I loved the location of the Ibis Brugge Centrum, it was extremely easy to find with directions printed off Via Michelin,... more travel advice
As we were on the canal trip we saw a small flea market along the Dijver canal so we headed over to it after we finished... more travel advice
- See All Driving in Brugge
- 13e Brugse Zwemdoortocht
- See All Books, movies and websites
- Is it Brugge? Or is it Bruges?
Dabs' Related Pages
Brugge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brugge - The promise of things to come"
- "Bruges Beyond Kitsch"
- "Charming just Charming"
- "Brugge, Venice of the North"
- "Brugge die Schone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brugge
- Hotels in Brugge
- Transportation in Brugge
- Nightlife in Brugge
- Restaurants in Brugge
- Shopping in Brugge
- Warnings and Dangers in Brugge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brugge
- 37 Reviews
- 113 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Brugge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brugge
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 410 reviews, 599 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 268 reviews, 478 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues