"A love affair begins...." Gent by Dabs

Gent Travel Guide: 1,437 reviews and 3,724 photos

Many people visiting Belgium bypass Gent in favor of Brugge and while I wouldn't recommend skipping either of these cities, I'd have to say that I'd give Gent a slight edge, after all Gent is where my torrid love affair with the heavenly Belgian waffle begun, where I had my first taste of Belgian chocolates, my first cone of Belgian frites dunked in mayonnaise.

Beyond the culinary delights, Gent seemed more like a living, breathing city where the city actually seemed to still be alive after the sun goes down and the buses have long departed.

This was our third visit to Gent, our first stop was in September 2000, a brief stop on our way to the huge flea market in Lille, the second visit was in September 2006 when we spent the night in Gent. We just stopped for a few hours on our way to Bruges, it's located in between Brussels and Bruges and is worth a day visit if that's all your itinerary affords.

I'm glad we came back!

• Pros:Just as pretty as Brugge without the busloads; waffles and chocolates!
  • Cons:Waffles have 900 calories BEFORE the cream and chocolate-yikes!
  • In a nutshell:Don't pass this one by!
  • Last visit to Gent: Aug 2013
  • Intro Updated Sep 30, 2013

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2011 at 4:20 AM

very beautiful views from belfry and Gravensteen Castle. So many details in architecture in the city

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2011 at 2:50 PM

That's a beautiful lead photo of Gent at sunset! Good that you went back to Gent for a second visit.

• Shannon077's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Unfortunately that spider web has now been removed!I dont know why or for how long.I dont know what the web was for either

• wandeljp's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 10:25 AM

Beautiful pages about a nice city I good know. You are in the truth about your calorie danger. I see it every day for my selves. We say in Belgium that we lives as a Burgundy guy ! It have an historical origin. Friendly greeting, Jean-Pierre.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2008 at 12:02 PM

Nice page Kristi

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Gent is for sure one of the most important flemish city in Belgium, I would love to go there one day!;)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Good thing I had dinner before reading your restaurant tips. I was drooling just thinking about the belgian frites smothered in mayonnaise - no ketchup !!! And does David know about your "torrid love affair with the heavenly Belgian waffle" ???

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2007 at 2:38 AM

Nice place. Ciao!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Thanks for the really helpful tips - off to Gent next month and you've given me a really good idea of what to look out for. Good warning about the calories too ;)

• Sibbella's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2006 at 9:19 AM

Great tips... I'm taking yours along with me in May!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Gent