"Where Napoleon faced his final defeat" Top 5 Page for this destination Waterloo by Dabs
Waterloo Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 139 photos
Although probably slightly more famous for being the title of an ABBA song, Waterloo is probably almost as famous for being the site of Napoleon's final defeat before being exiled to St. Helena.
Waterloo was an unscheduled stop on our September 2006 "4 countries in 9 day, if it's Tuesday we must be in Belgium" driving trip through Benelux but we figured we had to pass nearby to get to Brussels so what the heck!
I wouldn't classify Waterloo as a must see stop on any itinerary unless you are a war enthusiast, my husband thought it was interesting, and although I enjoy visiting historical sites climbing to the top of a mound just didn't excite me although it may have burned off a portion of one of those 900 calorie waffles! There's not really much to see, you can climb to the top of the Lion's Mound to see the topography of the battlefield, stop by the visitors center to see a movie about the battle or go to the Wellington Museum. In case you're not up on your history, Wellington was the victor in the Battle of Waterloo, not Napoleon, so it's only fair that he gets the museum named after him.
I'm not sure what happened to the top of this photo, perhaps it's a flaw in my flash card but maybe, just maybe, it's an unearthly presence hovering above the battlefield.....
If you're planning on visiting Waterloo, you'll want to stop by the Visitor's Center first as tickets to the other... more travel advice
According to the guidebooks, there is a reenactment of the Battle of Waterloo every 5 years which prompted my husband to... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Waterloo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Waterloo, its battlefields and its lion"
- "Napoleon did surrender"
- "Visiting Waterloo by air"
- "Where Napoleon faced his final defeat"
- "The battlefield of Waterloo"
- "Walking on Historic Ground"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Waterloo
- Transportation in Waterloo
- Restaurants in Waterloo
- Shopping in Waterloo
- Warnings and Dangers in Waterloo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Waterloo
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Waterloo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Waterloo
Photos in WaterlooSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 610 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues