"Where Napoleon faced his final defeat" Top 5 Page for this destination Waterloo by Dabs

Waterloo Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 137 photos

Although probably slightly more famous for being the title of an ABBA song, Waterloo is probably almost as famous for being the site of Napoleon's final defeat before being exiled to St. Helena.

Waterloo was an unscheduled stop on our September 2006 "4 countries in 9 day, if it's Tuesday we must be in Belgium" driving trip through Benelux but we figured we had to pass nearby to get to Brussels so what the heck!

I wouldn't classify Waterloo as a must see stop on any itinerary unless you are a war enthusiast, my husband thought it was interesting, and although I enjoy visiting historical sites climbing to the top of a mound just didn't excite me although it may have burned off a portion of one of those 900 calorie waffles! There's not really much to see, you can climb to the top of the Lion's Mound to see the topography of the battlefield, stop by the visitors center to see a movie about the battle or go to the Wellington Museum. In case you're not up on your history, Wellington was the victor in the Battle of Waterloo, not Napoleon, so it's only fair that he gets the museum named after him.

I'm not sure what happened to the top of this photo, perhaps it's a flaw in my flash card but maybe, just maybe, it's an unearthly presence hovering above the battlefield.....

• Last visit to Waterloo: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2006

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Also I visited here, I enjoyed it very much, just as it is now your Waterloo!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2011 at 4:23 PM

There was also a Stonewall Jackson song: Waterloo, Waterloo, where will YOU meet your Waterloo? Every puppy has its day, everybody has to pay, everybody has to meet his Waterloo.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2007 at 9:56 AM

I didn't know about this place but I do know the ABBA song :))

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 10:12 AM

WOW YOU KNOW ALOT ABOUT HISTORY!:)

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 8:26 AM

A good history lesson, Kristi. The grass mound is certainly a dramatic memorial...

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

I would walk up that mound for one of those wonderful waffles, Kristi! I need to meet your huband and compare tacky souvenirs from around the world. Hope all is well with you.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2006 at 2:45 PM

Interesting European history

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 3:09 PM

I'd glady climb the Lion's Mound for a Belgian waffel any day. I'd climb it twice for a box of Belgian chocolates.

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 11:18 AM

Very good historic view on Waterloo.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 9:22 AM

Great introduction. I found your presentation amusing by weaving in the history, the ambience, and your waffles!!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Waterloo

Have you been to Waterloo?

Latest Activity in Waterloo