Washington D.C. Transportation Tips by Dabs
Washington D.C. Transportation: 406 reviews and 476 photos
Metro from the airport
From Reagan National airport, the cheapest way to get to the city is by metro. It was $1.35 (non peak) or $1.85 (peak). The metro can be picked up easily from Terminal B and C, if you arrive at Terminal A you can take a free shuttle to the metro or you can walk to it but it's a pretty long way especially if you have a lot of luggage.
The website below has all the information you need on riding the metro. I found it to be clean, safe and reasonably efficient (although there was track work on the weekend I was there that delayed trains quite a bit).
You can purchase a fare card in any amount and the machine keeps track of how much you use and prints it on the card. If you have a bit left on the card and are below $7, you can insert into one of the machines and add more to it.
There are day and weekly passes, I only used the metro a couple of times per day and only bought a day pass for Sunday when I knew I would be using it a lot. The day pass was $6.50 and most trips were $1.35 (non peak) so you'd have to use 5 times to save money.
Ronald Reagan National ariport
There are three airports in the area of Washington DC.
Ronald Reagan National Airport is the closest and best connected to the city, only 4 miles from downtown and connected to the city by metro.
Dulles International Airport is 26 miles from the city center and is not connected by metro
Baltimore-Washington International (BWI) is the third option, you can get to Washington DC's Union Station by Amtrak or MARC train
For cheap airfares, take a look at ATA which flies into Reagan or Southwest which flies into BWI
More Reviews (47)
- See All Smithsonian NMAH-Kermit
- See All Why is Washington DC the capital?
- See All EPA Building
- See All A nice walk through the Monuments
Dabs' Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "My Hometown"
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 50 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: JFK screening time on..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Washington D.C. travel pages
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "Washington DC"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Smithsonian Museum of Natural History"
- Wrote a Review Smithsonian NMAH-Kermit about National Museum of American History in Washington D.C. Things to Do
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 610 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (162)
- World War II Memorial- 75 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Washington Monument- 123 Reviews, 229 Photos
- National Gallery of Art- 82 Reviews, 236 Photos
- National Archives- 61 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Ford's Theatre - Petersen House- 34 Reviews, 69 Photos
- White House- 137 Reviews, 221 Photos
- Chinatown- 16 Reviews, 36 Photos
- FDR - Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial- 49 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Korean War Veterans Memorial- 75 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Lincoln Memorial- 149 Reviews, 302 Photos
See All Washington D.C. Things to Do