Washington D.C. Hotel Tips by Dabs
Washington D.C. Hotels: 123,960 reviews and 271 photos
Hyatt Crystal City
After bidding on Priceline up to $90 per night for a more centrally located hotel, I changed my plan to bid for Crystal City which is one metro stop away from Reagan National airport. I got this hotel for $50 per night. Crystal City is actually in Arlington VA but is very convenient to DC. I think it took me about 15 minutes by metro to get into the central area of DC.
The Hyatt is one of the least convenient hotels to the Crystal City metro, on foot it is about 15-20 minutes. The Hyatt does have a shuttle from the metro that runs every 1/2 hour or so but it was not very well marked. As you come out of the metro, do a U turn and walk over to where you see bus shelters and ask if they are waiting for hotel shuttles.
Within 4 or 5 blocks of the hotel there are many restaurants, mostly on 23rd St. The hotel recommended Portofino, an Italian place or Jaleo which is the one we tried. There is also a Legal Seafoods, Chili's and McDonald's nearby.
I grabbed breakfast at the Safeway grocery store in the Crystal City underground mall, there was also an Au Bon Pain but it wasn't open yet.
Unique Qualities: For $50 per night this was a perfectly fine hotel, check in was quick, check out can be done by phone or on the TV. The room didn't have a lot of extra amenities-no in room safe, no mini bar or refrigerator, no internet hookup.
But it was comfortable enough, the shower had plenty of hot water and the bed was comfortable.
Address: 2799 Jefferson Davis, Arlington VA
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: South of the Crystal City metro, take the shuttle the first time you go, especially if you have luggage
Westin Embassy Row
I was having trouble bidding on Priceline for Friday and Saturday in DuPont Circle (stopped at $90) so I ended up breaking my trip into 2 pieces and stayed one night at the Westin Embassy Row. I bid $85 for a 3* in DuPont Circle and ended up with the 4* Westin.
I liked the location a lot, a few blocks from the red line metro, a nice walk down the beginning of Embassy Row on Massachusetts St. The surrounding area is filled with restaurants (see review for Pizza Paradiso), shops and beautiful mansions now housing embassies. There are several places to grab breakfast in the area including a Krispy Kreme if you're in a hurry, a couple of bakeries and Kramer's.
Unique Qualities: Room-Westin has the Heavenly Beds which I love, lots and lots of comfy pillows and bedding! There was a in room safe, minibar, TV with a few stations including Showtime, internet connection (extra fee) and AC. I didn't have much of a view but really no hotels in Washington DC do because of the height restrictions.
Bathroom-shower had plenty of hot water and the Heavenly Shower which gives you multiple settings, toiletries included soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion, huge fluffy towels, a hair dryer and a coffeemaker with Starbucks products.
Address: 2100 MASSACHUSETTS AVE NW, Washington, DC 20008
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: DuPont Circle
More Reviews (48)
- See All Smithsonian NMAH-Kermit
- See All Why is Washington DC the capital?
- See All EPA Building
- See All A nice walk through the Monuments
Dabs' Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "My Hometown"
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 50 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Travel New York City Forum "Re: JFK screening time on..."
- Commented on one of Dabs's Washington D.C. travel pages
- updated a Washington D.C. Travel Page "Washington DC"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Smithsonian Museum of Natural History"
- Wrote a Review Smithsonian NMAH-Kermit about National Museum of American History in Washington D.C. Things to Do
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (67)
Read real reviews about Washington D.C. Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 415 reviews, 610 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 279 reviews, 496 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 110 reviews, 186 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 67 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 73 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (162)
- World War II Memorial- 75 Reviews, 216 Photos
- Washington Monument- 123 Reviews, 229 Photos
- National Gallery of Art- 82 Reviews, 236 Photos
- National Archives- 61 Reviews, 149 Photos
- Ford's Theatre - Petersen House- 34 Reviews, 69 Photos
- White House- 137 Reviews, 221 Photos
- Chinatown- 16 Reviews, 36 Photos
- FDR - Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial- 49 Reviews, 111 Photos
- Korean War Veterans Memorial- 75 Reviews, 182 Photos
- Lincoln Memorial- 149 Reviews, 302 Photos
See All Washington D.C. Things to Do