"Guilty again of country collecting! Make that #54" Top 5 Page for this destination Liechtenstein by Dabs

Liechtenstein Travel Guide: 451 reviews and 1,261 photos

As I tallied up how many more countries I had left to visit in Europe, I was surprised at just how many I had left (19 at that point) and one of those countries was Liechtenstein, the 4th smallest country in Europe behind Vatican City, Monaco, and San Marino, a tiny 16 mile long, 4 mile wide country nestled in between Austria and Switzerland.

Reluctantly I had scratched it from our initial Switzerland itinerary as I thought we were trying to do way too much but when we ended up with an extra day in our itinerary and found ourselves not too far away, we decided to go for it!

Since we traveled pretty much the length of the country in about 4 hours including a stop for lunch, I'm putting all of my information on one page. Liechtenstein is worth a stop should you be over on the Eastern side of Switzerland but honestly I couldn't really even tell that we had left Switzerland and entered a new country, the scenery is the same, the currency is the same, the architecture is the same, the food is the same.

There are a couple of really nice pages here on VT about Liechtenstein extolling the virtues of Liechtenstein and virtually spanking those of us who pass through to add a country. It IS a very pretty country and if you are a hiker or a skiier then you might really enjoy it but my take on it is that it was so similar to Switzerland that it was almost like we never entered a separate country.

• Pros:You can drive the whole country in less than a day
  • Cons:You can drive the whole country in less than a day
  • In a nutshell:If you're close, go for it!
  • Last visit to Liechtenstein: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 9, 2007

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Kristi, congratulations on your numerous interesting visits to all those fabulous countries...Thanks for your interesting page here.

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2010 at 5:21 AM

liechtenstein is a wonderful place , I would love to live there , and it is true, there is no border with switzerland, for it is almost the same country

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2010 at 5:36 AM

Nice tips, I'll be here in May.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jun 3, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Interesting page - and comforting to me since it is unfinished, like so many of my pages. I concede, you've been to more countries than I have. I just completed #53. But I bet I've got you beat on counties. GRIN!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2008 at 2:57 PM

How many people can say they visited Liechtenstein--you can, Kristi!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM

I need to put aside a weekend, fly to Zurich and then spend a couple of hours crossing this little country off my list! :-) You'll be fine in Norway without having to resort to fast food places...prices are a bit cheaper than Iceland! :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 5:10 PM

Thanks for mentioning the fact that Liechtenstein is a tax haven. One of the big scandals here in Germany in recent weeks has to do with very prominent (and supposedly clean-nosed) rich Germans using Liechtensteinian "foundations" for tax evasion.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2008 at 6:44 AM

Nice page! I also lament the fact that many countries no longer stamp passports -- it not only documents that you entered that country but it's kind of a souvenir in a way! At least US immigration is vigilant of who enters/leaves the country!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 8:42 PM

54 Countries. You are, indeed, a world traveler. But this one doesn't seem too exciting. What I liked best was the picture of the child and the "art cow"...I can just see you laughing.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Lovely new page about my 29th visited country. I am glad to see that you liked the Old Castle Inn. *winkygrin*

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Liechtenstein

Have you been to Liechtenstein?

Latest Activity in Liechtenstein