"Home of the Duke of Norfolk" Top 5 Page for this destination Arundel by Dabs

Arundel Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 191 photos

There are lots and lots of daytrips that you can take from London but I'm still surprised that you don't hear much about Arundel Castle as it's one of the nicest castles that we've visited in and around London and the 2nd largest after Windsor Castle. It's a little farther than Windsor Castle or Hampton Court which are only about a 1/2 hour outside London, it takes 1 1/2 hours to get to Arundel. I'd place this daytrip above Dover Castle or Leeds Castle and on equal footing with Warwick Castle although Warwick Castle is a better daytrip if you are traveling with children.

When I was inquiring about other things to do in the area, some people recommended some other things we could see in the area but by the time we were finished visiting the castle we didn't really have enough time. If you should drive there or if you leave earlier than we did, you might want to look into nearby Amberley where there is the Amberley Museum just one train stop away or Fishbourne Roman Palace which was on the same train line but not nearly as convenient to get to.

The town of Arundel, which you walk through to get to the Castle, is an appealing pretty town, we had a walk through before visiting the Castle to see the options for lunch.

• Last visit to Arundel: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Oct 21, 2010

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I love this website for introducing me to places like this in my own country. I must pay a visit when I'm next in the southeast. Thanks Kristi.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2011 at 1:14 PM

We've been in Arundel a few times but never visited the castle - I can't imagine why not as it looks lovely! Must get round to it one day soon ;-)

• jelw's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2011 at 6:42 PM

Have I ever mentioned - My Chicago sister used to live in Arundel?

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Somehow I never realized that Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard were both nieces of the 3rd Duke of Norfolk. But I certainly agree that the British system of hereditary titles is extremely baffling. (Anne Boleyn is Anna Bolena in Donizetti's opera.)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM

What a splendid castle! It's a must in England....

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Kristi, lovely little page with brilliant photos here. I must admit that I have heard about Arundel before and for some reason a friend once wanted to take me there, but it never really happened.

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Arundel

Have you been to Arundel?