"Bath" Top 5 Page for this destination Bath by Dabs

Bath Travel Guide: 911 reviews and 2,001 photos

"Bath"ing with VT friends-January 2008

Bath is a lovely place to spend a day or two, soaking up the charms of the city. It's history dates back at least to the 1st century AD when the Romans built a spa here, active for around 400 years. In the 1700s, during the Georgian period, several men shaped the Bath you see today, a gambler named John "Beau" Nash and father and son architects, John Wood the Elder and John Wood the Younger. The town you see today is much the same as it was in this period, the same time Jane Austen lived there.

Bath can be easily visited on a daytrip from London, by train it is around 90 minutes to Bath, but if you have two days to spare, there is more than enough to keep you busy. My most enjoyable visit was my third time visiting Bath on a daytrip from London with Kat (keida84), Jen (jenniflower) and Jen's sister in January 2008. In preparation for the trip, I reread the two Jane Austen novels that were largely set in Bath, "Persuasion" and "Northanger Abbey" and then as luck would have it PBS had just started a series of Jane Austen adaptations and the two they showed first were the two set in Bath.

We started off the visit with a guided Jane Austen tour that showed sights in the books and places that the author herself had lived, had lunch in a pub, toured the Roman Baths and capped off the day with a visit to the Pump Room for afternoon tea. It really was a perfect daytrip to this lovely city.

First trip-1988

My first visit to Bath was in 1988 on my first trip outside North America, back in the days before Al Gore "created" the internet and travel information so easy to get so me and an Aussie that I had met at the Holland Park youth hostel just showed up and walked around.

Daytrip with London Walks

I decided to return in August 2005 and although I had originally planned to go independently I changed my mind and decided to go on one of London Walks Explorer Days to Bath. It was a little shorter of a day than I would have liked, we didn't get into Bath until 11:00 am, but I enjoyed walking through the town imagining it in the day of Jane Austen, one of Bath's most famous residents.

• Pros:A perfect daytrip with good friends
  • Cons:A day just isn't enough
  • Last visit to Bath: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2008

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2011 at 2:52 AM

Hello again - and thanks again for your great pages, I enjoy reading them so much! And especially this one, as I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen and will def. go to Bath and do the JA-walking tour to see all the places of the books and where she lived!

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2009 at 3:36 AM

That's a very good tip about the two-for-one admission when coming in by train. Thank you! I love your picture with the "victorian lady".

• Kaspian's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2009 at 10:16 AM

I might have to visit this place after all the cool scenes in "The Duchess". Funny how every time they showed Royal Crescent in that movie, there was never ANYBODY sleeping on the lawn. :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 6:28 AM

I went to Bath years ago with my then ten year old son, who had been reading up on the Romans. We had gone canoeing on the Avon in Stratford, but the one in Bath didn't seem too accessible. I didn't know about the Assembly Rooms.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2008 at 5:36 AM

I spent 2 days in Bath back in 2005 as part of a Jane Austen tour - your page brought back some great memories, especially since my old camera broke and left me with just a few Bath pictures!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2008 at 3:56 AM

I believe I would have to take the Jane Austen tour on my first trip. How beautiful...great tips and pics. Sorry I missed your birthday, hope it was magical.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2008 at 6:47 PM

You and Kat and Jen! No wonder you saw a ghost! ;-) Actually a very good page, Krisit. Hope you have a wonderful birthday.

• tvor's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2008 at 9:14 AM

The First time i was in Bath was a stop with a bus tour so didn't see a lot of it. Second time i was getting a bad flu/virus so though i did see a few things, including the fashion museum, i didn't really take it in. Must go back

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2008 at 8:11 AM

Hi Kristi, this is a very nice page. I am ready to go and visit my family in Macadonia. I'll be back in June 12Th. Love, Karolina

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2008 at 7:35 AM

An excellent page about one of my favourite cities. I'm a huge admirer of Jane Austen too. Have you read any Georgette Heyer? Not quite in the same league but her Bath novels are great fun nevertheless!

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Bath