"The Rock" Gibraltar by Dabs

Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,135 reviews and 2,284 photos

I think Gibraltar and I have an ill fated relationship, my first visit in 1998 was on a Saturday around noon when everything was starting to shut down for the day and I left with Gibraltar currency that I couldn't exchange once back in Spain.

My second visit was on the organized bus trip that was part of the Euromeet 2006 festivities, a late start, a traffic ticket and perhaps an overambitious schedule left us with a mere 1 1/2 hours to visit, just enough time to hop on a bus, ascend the rock via cable car and hop on a bus back to the border. No fish and chips were in the cards for me this time!

Tourist trap?

Many people seem to dismiss Gibraltar as a tourist trap but the history of the place fascinates me and I think it's worth a visit should you find yourself with an extra day near the Costa del Sol. Budget at least 3-4 hours or even a whole day if you want to do some shopping or grab a lunch of fish and chips and a couple of pints at one of the local pubs.

• Pros:A little slice of Britain near Spain
  • Cons:I never seem to visit it properly
  • Last visit to Gibraltar: May 2006
  • Intro Updated May 18, 2006

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2009 at 8:35 PM

These are some very good tips to know. The photographs of the monkies are fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 3:15 AM

I keep meaning to pay a visit to this little British outpost..but haven't done so yet! I'll be keeping a watchful eye on the Barbary Apes when I do get there! Shame you didn't have time for fish and chips on your visit.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2008 at 5:56 AM

It's too bad you didn't get much time in Gibraltar - maybe next time. hehe! There are "Express" buses from Torremolinos that you can take for very little money - under 10 Euros return.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 7:57 AM

This place rocks.

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 9:22 AM

No Gibraltar stamp for the passport? Maybe I can try to get a paw print from one of the Barbarian Apes.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM

Interesting and helpful info. Gibraltar is high on our list of places to go - someday.

• bobsreturn2004's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2006 at 12:57 PM

I loved Gibraltar,so would love to live there.Next stop for me Vancouver though.

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2006 at 7:26 PM

Thanks for the quick tour of Gibraltar, Kristi!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2006 at 6:44 AM

An interesting spot that I have always wanted to visit! Thanks for the interesting tips and excellent pics. With the Barbary Apes here and the Ravens at the Tower of London, those Brits really know how to out-source security!

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2006 at 9:09 PM

Excellent tips Kris, interesting story about the well fed monkeys, I suppose California may cede from the union long before the British will leave Gibraltar LOL

Dabs

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Badges & Stats in Gibraltar

Have you been to Gibraltar?

Latest Activity in Gibraltar