"The Rock" Gibraltar by Dabs
Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,135 reviews and 2,284 photos
I think Gibraltar and I have an ill fated relationship, my first visit in 1998 was on a Saturday around noon when everything was starting to shut down for the day and I left with Gibraltar currency that I couldn't exchange once back in Spain.
My second visit was on the organized bus trip that was part of the Euromeet 2006 festivities, a late start, a traffic ticket and perhaps an overambitious schedule left us with a mere 1 1/2 hours to visit, just enough time to hop on a bus, ascend the rock via cable car and hop on a bus back to the border. No fish and chips were in the cards for me this time!
Many people seem to dismiss Gibraltar as a tourist trap but the history of the place fascinates me and I think it's worth a visit should you find yourself with an extra day near the Costa del Sol. Budget at least 3-4 hours or even a whole day if you want to do some shopping or grab a lunch of fish and chips and a couple of pints at one of the local pubs.
- Pros:A little slice of Britain near Spain
- Cons:I never seem to visit it properly
In addition to the British Union Jack, you'll find the flag of Gibraltar flying which features a three towered red... more travel advice
We only had 1 1/2 hours in Gibraltar so we had to choose between seeing the town and going to the top of the Rock for a... more travel advice
Dabs' Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- "Britannia on the Iberian Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
Photos in GibraltarSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chicago Intro, 409 reviews, 596 photos, 8 travelogues
- London Intro, 262 reviews, 466 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 109 reviews, 183 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Los Angeles Intro, 87 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 66 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Granada Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 5 travelogues
- Ljubljana Intro, 37 reviews, 131 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 71 reviews, 96 photos, 3 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 48 reviews, 109 photos, 3 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 42 reviews, 110 photos, 4 travelogues